Melton Town net five at Whittlesey Athletic to remain top of the UCL Division One table

Whittlesey Athletic 1 Melton Town 5

Monday, 28th September 2020, 9:27 am
Updated Monday, 28th September 2020, 9:43 am
Zak Munton netted another hat-trick. Photo: Tim Williams

Revenge was in the air for Melton Town's away trip to Whittlesey Athletic, having lost last season in windy conditions on a bumpy pitch.

It was a case of deja-vu as it was a windy afternoon on a bumpy pitch and the hosts almost replicated the same move as last year when a long throw-in in the first minute caught the wind and Carter was first to the ball, only for his shot to be tipped over the bar by Peet.

Lever threaded a great through ball over the defence to find Munton whose shot was saved by the keepers feet.

Then on 15 minutes Beaver pulled the ball down on the edge of the area and rifled a shot across goal which evaded all the players.

Other than a speculative effort from Parsons the game lack any chances as both teams tried to unlock the opposite defences.

The breakthrough came in a dramatic minute just after the half hour.

First Benjamin's cross was cleared by Gale, only for Lever to volley the rebound into the far corner and within 50 seconds it was 2-0 when Parsons had a run to the byline and passed to Munton who had a tap in from three yards out.

It was nearly three when Munton ran through the midfield and touched the ball to Lever, whose low shot was touched around the post by Bellairs.

The last action of the first half saw Peet having to make a low save to prevent Cowles from scoring.

The second half started with Melton dominating possession.

A bobbling ball in the Athletic area ended with Muntons half volley being blocked on the line and a Benjamin cross held up in the wind with Astill's header going inches over the bar.

The third goal came in the 66th minute when a long clearance found Munton who turned Simpson and then outsprinted Gale before slotting under the keeper.

The score became 4-0 when Bucalossi sent in a free-kick from out wide only for it to evade everyone and nestle inside the far corner of the net.

Gale had a low shot which needed Peet to be alert.

Then with six minutes left the hosts got their consolation goal when a corner was flicked on by Jenkins and Simpson nodded in from two yards out.

With two minutes left on the clock Munton had his second hat-trick in a week when a long ball was poorly headed by Long and the young Melton striker picked up the loose ball and slotted it under Bellairs.

Town travel to Rushden on Saturday before the visit of Aylestone Park the following Tuesday, hoping to remain top of the table.

TOWN: Peet, Beaver, Benjamin, Bucalossi, Gilchrist, Fray, Lever (Storey), Dunn, Munton, Parsons (Harris), Astill (Fura).

Meanwhile, Holwell Sports ended their four-game losing streak with a goalless draw at home to Bugbrooke St Michael.

Sports host Raunds Town on Saturday with Melton