Three people have died after 'serious incidents' at a Scottish hospital - what happened

A hospital in Kilmarnock was placed in lockdown for three hours as police were called to a series of incidents on Thursday (4 February) evening.

Three people, including a mother and daughter, have died after the incidents which started outside University Hospital Crosshouse, Police Scotland confirmed.

The force said enquiries were still ongoing into the three incidents, which are believed to be linked.

Here is everything we know so far about the police incident.

What happened in Kilmarnock?

Police were called to the scene of the first incident at the Crosshouse hospital at around 7:45pm on Thursday evening.

A 39-year-old woman was found injured in the car park. She received medical care but died at the scene.

A second incident then occurred at about 8:05pm on Portland Street, about two miles away from the hospital, where a 24-year-old woman was stabbed.

Emergency services attended and she was taken to Crosshouse hospital, where she later died.

The two women have been named as NHS worker Emma Robertson Coupland and her daughter Nicole Anderson. Family relatives have been made aware.

Tributes poured in for the mother and daughter on Friday. Ms Anderson’s fiancé Vicky described her as an “angel”.

She wrote: "My beautiful wee angel I will love you forever.

"Hoping I could wake up and this all be a dream can’t take it in I’m completely broken."

A third incident, a fatal road crash, happened on the C50 between the B7036 and the A76 at about 8:30pm.

A 40-year-old man, who was driving the car, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police Scotland said inquiries so far have indicated that the three incidents were linked, and an investigation is underway to establish the exact circumstances of the series of incidents.

The force said it is not looking for anyone else as part of the investigation and that there is no ongoing threat to the public.

Chief Superintendent Faroque Hussain said: “A number of locations remain cordoned off as officers continue to conduct enquiries.

"We are working to confirm the full circumstances of what has happened."

He called for people to come forward with any information about the incidents.

He added: “Understandably, people will be shocked by what has happened.

"We are still in the process of establishing the full circumstances, however, I would like to reassure people that there is no wider threat to the community.

"Officers will be on patrol and anyone with any concerns can approach these officers."

An East Ayrshire Council statement said: "Following on from the tragic incidents in and around Kilmarnock last night, our thoughts are with all the families and individuals affected by these events.

"We know our communities will be shocked and saddened by these events, but we wish to reassure them that there is no risk to the general public at this time and we are supporting our colleagues in NHS Ayrshire & Arran and Police Scotland wherever we can."

When was the lockdown lifted?

Local residents in the town said they had heard sirens and a helicopter shortly before 8:30pm.

While the hospital was in lockdown, ambulances were diverted to University Hospital Ayr.

Lockdown at the Crosshouse site was lifted just before 11pm.

On Friday (5 February) morning, the hospital was open and running as normal, while there was still a police presence outside with part of the car park cordoned off.

Police Scotland confirmed that Portland Street and other areas in the town centre remained closed on Friday, as well as the place where the crash occurred where diversions are in place.

Dr Crawford McGuffie, the medical director of NHS Ayrshire and Arran, reassured patients and staff coming into the hospital that it was safe.

He said: "There remains a large police presence on the grounds of the hospital.

"We would like to reassure anyone coming to the hospital, in particular to any patients or staff coming on shift, that Police Scotland have confirmed it is safe to do so.

"However, if you are worried, please speak to the onsite Police Scotland officers."

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon paid tribute to the people who died in the attack on Twitter.

She wrote: "Dreadful news. My thoughts are with the bereaved. Thinking too of everyone at Crosshouse Hospital, already dealing with the tough circumstances of Covid. I’m also grateful to our emergency services. Please continue to follow ⁦@policescotland advice.”

Deputy First Minister John Swinney opened the government’s coronavirus daily briefing on Friday by paying his condolences.

He said: "I'm very sorry to say that two people were killed in the attack, which took place at the Crosshouse hospital and in Portland St, Kilmarnock. A third person died in a subsequent road traffic incident, and Police Scotland believe these 3 deaths were connected.

"My thoughts are very much with the families and friends of those individuals. A tragedy like this would be impossible to understand at any time, but after the events of the past year, it's particularly shocking that such an incident took place at a hospital.

"An investigation of course is ongoing, however Police Scotland have confirmed that the site at Crosshouse hospital is secure - and it's safe for patients and staff to go there. For now, I simply want to thank the police officers and all the medical staff."