Paris attacks LIVE updates: Fears death toll could reach 140
All the attackers in the Paris terror atrocities, in which more than 140 people are feared to have been killed, are believed to be dead.
There were two suicide attacks and a bombing near the Stade de France stadium, shootings at restaurants and a massacre inside a popular music venue in a night of terror in the French capital.
French president Francois Hollande said he was closing the country’s borders and declaring a state of emergency after the “terrible ordeal”.
LIVE updates from our international team here click here
Melton Council unveils plan on how it will spend £1M of new funding
Melton set to go fitness crazy this weekend
Town estate ‘deeply saddened’ by vandal attack on new trees
Tennis club to host fundraiser in memory of 'Sketch' Skerritt
Your chance to fly a model aircraft at Melton club's open day
The authorities are still searching for possible accomplices following the attacks, Micheal Cadot, the head of Paris police, said.
Officers stormed the Bataclan concert hall where hostages were being held but attackers, wearing suicide belts, blew themselves up, leaving at least 100 people dead.
One official described “carnage” inside the building, saying the attackers had tossed explosives at the hostages.
The national football side was playing a friendly match against Germany at the Stade de France when two suicide attacks and a bombing took place nearby.
Tens of thousands of people fell silent at the stadium on Friday night in tribute to those killed and injured.
Officials said shots were also fired in at least two restaurants, with 11 people killed in the 10th arrondissement.
Witnesses of the attack at the Bataclan described the scene as “carnage” with “blood everywhere”.
Marc Coupris, 57, who had travelled to Paris to watch the concert, told the Guardian: “It was carnage. It looked like a battlefield, there was blood everywhere, there were bodies everywhere.
He added: “Eventually, when a few gendarmes came in slowly we began to look up and there was blood absolutely everywhere. The police told us to run.”
Prime Minister David Cameron said he was “shocked” by the attacks and the UK “will do whatever we can to help.”
The Foreign Office said it was in “close touch” with the French authorities and it was “urgently investigating” whether there were any British victims.
The attacks come after the Charlie Hebdo atrocity, which took place in January and saw 12 people killed after gunmen stormed the offices of the satirical magazine.
US president Barack Obama told a press conference that the violence in Paris “was an attack on all of humanity”.
He said: “Those who think they can terrorise the people of France and the values they stand for are wrong.”
Eyewitness Ben Grant said he was in a bar with his wife when the gunshots were fired and he had seen six or seven bodies on the ground.
He told the BBC: “I heard gunshots. People dropped to the ground. We put a table over our heads to protect us.
“We were held up in the bar because there was a pile of bodies in front of us.”
Television cameraman Charles Pitt said he was outside a cafe in the city’s 11th arrondissement where people were shot at around 9.10pm local time.
He told BBC News: “I had literally gone about 30 metres when, I thought it was a firecracker to start with, and then it went on and it got louder.
“It went on for a minute. Everybody dived for cover thinking it was gunfire. Then there was a pause for about 15 seconds and then it all started up again.
“Then it calmed down a bit and I walked back to the front of the cafe and there was a whole pile of bodies, probably about seven on the left-hand side and four that had been sitting on the tables outside on the right-hand side, and a lot of injured.
“I saw a woman who had obviously been shot in the leg.”
Gregory Goupil of the Alliance Police Nationale said there were at least three dead in the attacks near the stadium. He said the explosions went off simultaneously.
Pictures on social media showed hundreds of football fans had spilled on to the pitch at the Stade de France after the game ended.
The Bataclan concert hall had been due to host a concert by US rock band Eagles Of Death Metal.
The band’s management said they were “still currently trying to determine the safety and whereabouts of all our band and crew” in a statement posted on the group’s Facebook page.
A brother of the band’s drummer Julian Dorio from Atlanta was quoted by the Atlanta Journal Constitution saying the band members had all escaped unharmed.
Mr Hollande has cancelled his trip to the G-20 meeting in Turkey and is due to visit the Bataclan site.
The Foreign Office advised Britons to “exercise caution in public places” following the attacks and people with concerns about British friends or relatives in Paris can 0207 0081500 for assistance.