County News: Fire safety warning after six cases of spontaneous combustion
Fire safety officers are warning of the dangers of spontaneous combustion after attending six cases of the phenomenon in the last 16 months.
The latest instance occurred at a launderette in Tilgate, Crawley, on Saturday May 2.
Investigations revealed that a fire broke out as a result of essential oils that had not been washed out of towels properly. After being tumble dried and stacked in piles the towels had spontaneously burst into flames.
The fire in Crawley is just the latest in a string of similar incidents that West Sussex crews have attended recently.
Last month it emerged that a fire at a hotel in Chichester, which took more than 50 firefighters to extinguish, was caused by oil residue on tea towels left in a tumble dryer.
Melton Council unveils plan on how it will spend £1M of new funding
Melton set to go fitness crazy this weekend
Town estate ‘deeply saddened’ by vandal attack on new trees
Tennis club to host fundraiser in memory of 'Sketch' Skerritt
Your chance to fly a model aircraft at Melton club's open day
Fire Investigation Officer for West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service, Richard Bradley, speaking after the latest incident, said:
“Spontaneous combustion might seem like a strange phenomenon for people to contemplate but my fire investigation colleagues around the country and I have been identifying a growing number of these types of incidents.
“Residue of grease or oil – particularly from vegetable and animal based fats – not properly washed out of linen can start a fire. The problem seems to arise when the wash cycle has not been hot enough to remove oil residue. If laundry is then heated in a tumble dryer it can ignite.
“We are doing all we can in West Sussex to raise awareness of this issue. We’ve produced a simple guidance poster and are in the process of contacting hotels, pubs, launderettes and other businesses and urging them to display the advice in their laundry rooms.”
West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service advice:
Ensure wash temperatures and detergents are suitable for the optimum removal of oil based contaminants
Allow laundry to complete the cooling cycle in the tumble dryer
Shake out laundry to ventilate before folding or place garments on hangers
Ensure stack or pile is well ventilated
Clean filters, remove fluff, lint and debris from dryers and keep them regularly maintained
Place warm, damp laundry in polythene bags or plastic containers/baskets or in poorly ventilated areas
Leave freshly laundered fabrics stacked overnight
Remove laundry from the tumble dryer before completing the cooling cycle
Forget to test your smoke alarm – only working smoke alarms give an early warning to a developing fire!
Businesses can access further advice by visiting www.westsussex.gov.uk/fire calling 0330 0222 3333 or following @WSFRSFireSafety on Twitter.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1 Make our website your homepage at www.wscountytimes.co.uk
2 Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/wscountytimes
3 Follow us on Twitter @wscountytimes
4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The County Times - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.