Melton Mowbray Golf Club’s junior section played their final competitions of the school summer holidays last week.
The Doubles Cup was won by junior captain Ed Thompson and his brother Will, defeating Will Fairbrother and James Cartwright by +2.
But Fairbrother had the consolation of winning the Sam Weller Shield with 38 points, two ahead of James Daulby who took second spot on countback from Ed Thompson.
New member Tom Capstick won the nine-hole pre-handicap medal with 49 points ahead of runner-up Jack Standeven (50), and third-placed Noah Burgoine.
* The men’s midweek stableford was won by Vic Sproul with a score of nett 67, one shot clear of second-placed Adrian Stokes. Jon Cliffe came third with nett 71, while Sam Pollard carded the best gross round of 76.
George Boddy and Rob Smith recorded the day’s only two’s.
* The Greenall Cup took place on Saturday using the betterball stableford format.
Gary Kitchen and Matt Catton scored a superb 45 points to edge Tom Smith and Roger Alexander into second spot with 42 points.
Adrian Stokes finished in the placings for the second time in a week as he and Dave Bailey finished third with 41 points.
Bailey also scored a pair of two’s to take home almost half of the two’s sweep which was shared with John Harvey, Mike Catlin and Matt Catton.
* The Mixed Team had a good home win, 3.5-0.5 against Lingdale.
Eddie Cham and Chris Cook, and John Squires with Cheryl Osborne both won by 2 and 1, while Owen Cook and Bettyne Norton eased home 4 and 3, and Denis Dayman with Gay Cham halved their match.
* Maureen Stapleford won the 2015 Ladies’ Presidents Putter in grand style, winning both rounds of the competition to seal the aggregate win.
She shot rounds of nett 71 in week one and nett 73 the following week for a combined score of 144 to finish a huge 12 shots clear of runner-up Kathie Finn. Dorothy Jaggers was third with a combined 157.
Maureen’s reward, along with a new putter, was a three-shot cut in handicap.
Results - Round One: 1 Maureen Stapleford nett 71, 2 Liz Clark nett 75, 3 Dorothy Jaggers nett 78. Round Two: 1 Maureen Stapleford nett 73, 2 Sue Bennett nett 74, 3 Kathie Finn nett 75.
* In an exciting finish to the eclectic Summer Trophy competition, two shots separated the top seven.
The overall trophy was shared by Billy Kevan and Kevin Robertson with a score of 54 as countback could not separate the two players.
The final round of the Summer Trophy was played on Sunday and won by Billy and Kevin with nett 58 from runners-up Chris Radford and Giles Hinch with nett 67.