Melton Golf Club hosted one of their major trophy competitions of the year on Saturday as golfers of both sexes competed for The Petfoods Trophy.
Some tremendous scores were returned with the top three all shooting a round of nett 66.
Club greens chairman Phil Curtis won on countback from Jim Dobbin who took second place, also on countback, from Gerry Stephens. Gerry also shot the day’s lowest gross score.
The two’s sweep was shared by 10 players: Leigh Butler, Andy pedlar, Tony South, Brian Cole, John Burgess, David Stroud, Steve Goddard, Guy Rayson, Mick Pollard and Mick Wilson.
* The third round of the Compton Cup for handicaps 21 to 28 also took place and was won by another nett 66, shot by Cliff Daulby.
Alan Hodgkinson’s nett 69 was runner-up with Nigel Blunt (nett 71) in third spot. Alan Hodgkinson also shot the only two.
* Eddie Cham held his Senior Captain’s Day last Tuesday when both the course and weather provided the 43 entrants with superb conditions.
Frank Williams was the overall winner with 37 points, while divisional winners were Owen Cook, David Moss and Denis Dayman.
Eddie thanked everyone who took part for making his day memorable, and also thanked his wife Gay for all her hard work in organising it.
Results – Division One: Owen Cook, 2 Haydn Snow, 3 Bob Barnes. Division Two: 1 David Moss, 2 Keith Loring, 3 Brendan Boyce. Division Three: 1 Denis Dayman, 2 John Rigby, 3 Graham Martin. Nine-hole competition: 1 Fred Johnson, 2 Syd Wharton. Nearest-the-Pin (hole 5); Richard Grieve; (hole 7): Alan Terzza; (hole 14): Haydn Snow; (hole 16): Tom Eadon. Booby prize: Dick Chapman.
* Charity was the order of the day for the ladies last week when they played the Macmillan Cancer Relief Trophy.
Liz Clark played a terrific round of golf to score a handicap-beating 40 points to win the Bronze Division Trophy.
Alison Gatward was second with 30 points and third-placed Sally Hudson scored 29 points.
The Silver Division Trophy was won by Denise Waldron with 31 points, one clear of Sue Hitchman who took second place on countback.
Third and fourth were also separated by countback with Karen Middleton pipping Nancy Denny.
The day was rounded off by a sale of homemade cakes, with all proceeds going to Macmillan Cancer Support.
* A friendly fixture against Rutland County resulted in a good 3-1 win for Melton Ladies.
Melton winners: Bettyne Norton/Cheryl Osborne (3 and 1), Margaret Hoskins/Margaret Samways (2-up), Denise Waldron/Liz Clark (3 and 2).
* The ladies’ scratch team scored a good 4-1 win against Kilworth Springs.
Melton won three matches and halved two others.
* Melton’s senior section maintained their excellent record this season by securing an excellent win at The Nottinghamshire.
All members gave a creditable performance in a four-and-a-half to three-and-a-half victory.
Melton winners: Eddie Cham/Dave Moss (1-up), Tom Eadon/Dick Chapman (1-up), Jerzy Schmidt/Denis Dayman (4 and 3), Phil Millward/Alan Terzza (3 and 2), Haydn Snow/Don Povey halved.
The win contributed to an excellent match season for the seniors to date.