The third Cropwell Bishop Stilton Open drew its biggest field of players to Melton Mowbray Golf Club on Sunday with 164 taking part.
The event, sponsored by The Cropwell Bishop Creamery, was played as an am-am stableford format with the best two scores from four to count on each hole.
Competition was very close with countback deciding all of the prize winners and only two points separating top spot from the fourth-placed team.
Only four two’s were scored on the day by R. Mason (Bulwell Forest), J. Mogg (Melton), Steve Brown (Ormonde Fields) and D. Greetham (Burghley Park), and the day ended with a prize presentation by club captain Brendan Boyce.
Results: 1 I. Hughes, D. Hughes, S. Freeman, M. Wilkinson (Doncaster) 82pts ocb, 2 C. Daulby, J. Daulby, N. Farish, M. Haines (Melton), 3 C. Budd, A. Vernon, C. Frake, C. Reed (Edwalton and Willesley Park) 81ocb, 4 E. Cham, G. Stephens, A. Blunt, J. Mogg (Melton). Nearest the pin (7th): M. Lewis (Kirby Muxloe). Longest Drive (11th): M. Sowerby (Town Moor).
* Lady vice-captain Liz Snow won the Dorothy Nall Cup last Wednesday with a score of nett 74.
Tuesday’s heavy rain made the course tough for the ladies’ competition with runner-up Liz Clark shooting a nett 77 to take secnd spot on countback from Cheryl Osborne, Yvette Joyce and Gay Cham.
* The men’s Road to Woodhall Spa midweek stableford was also played in tough conditions on Friday.
Leigh Butler won on countback from Steve Riley, both with 37 points, while Bob Thompson and Ricki Curtis took third and fourth places on countback with 36 points from Andy Blunt and Jevan Goddard, also 36.
Two’s sweep: Steve Goddard, Brian Geeson, Rob Smith, Kevin Robertson.
* The men’s Scratch League went top of their division with 12 points after a victory over Western Park,
They lie one point ahead of local rivals Stapleford Park with only two matches left to play.
* Steve Plaistow had a runaway victory in the Senior Stableford, finishing 12 points clear of runner-up Neville Palmer with a winning score of 45 points. Ron Smith was third with 29.
* Melton seniors’ team put up a valiant fight in their match at The Nottinghamshire with Eddie Cham and Gerry Stephens losing the last match on the final hole in the decider.
Melton winners: Dave Wells/Denis Dayman (2-up), Bob Purkis/John Squires (2 and 1), Tom Eadon/Dick Chapman (1-up).
* Melton continued their fine home form against Toft with an emphatic 7-1 win.
Melton winners: Haydn Snow/Dave Wells (2 and 1), Phil Millward/Dave Moss (4 and 3), Bob Purkis/Richard Haines (1-up); John Squires/Frank Williams (4 and 2), Denis Dayman/Dick Chapman 4 and 3, Tom Eadon/Robin Jones 1-up; Alan Terzza/Steve Middleton 2-up.