Hamilton Tennis Club began its qualifying tournament for its annual Club Championships with the men’s doubles last week.
This was fiercely contested with group winners Graham Hall and Selwyn Carter edging out runners-up from the other group, Barrie Farnsworth and Craig Tracey 5-4.
The other group winners Edwin Shuffebotham and Keith Galloway were knocked out 5-2 by Sam Dryell and Tom Dryell. The final saw Sam and Tom avenge their earlier defeat by beating Graham and Selwyn 5-2.
* The ladies’ doubles saw group winners Eileen Merrison and Nikki Herbert pip Jan Jackson and Jessi Jackson 5-4 on a tie-break, while the other group winners Hazel Crymble and Polly Dolby defeated Jo Draper Moore and Chris Stevens 5-0.
Tension rose in the final as Hazel and Polly won 5-2.
* The mixed doubles semi-finals saw group winners Carl Westerman and Polly Dolby beat Tom Dryell and Libby Duncan 6-3, and Sam Dryell with Saskia Davies shade Joe Cunningham and Chris Stevens 7-5.
The final was a very tight match as Sam and Saskia won in a lengthy tie-break to take the match 7-6.
* The men’s singles semi-finals saw Craig Tracey beat Tom Dryell 5-4, and Matt Daniel win 5-3 against Sam Dryell.
The final was another close match with Craig beating Matt 5-4 on another tie-break.
* On the league scene, skipper Charlotte Griffin is leading the first mixed team towards retaining their Division One title following a comprehensive 9-0 win over Gynsill.
Scores: Luke Smith/Charlotte Griffin W 9-2, 9-0, 9-3; Tom Rowe/Sibella Chew W 9-5, 9-2, 9-0; James Rowe/Amelia Coltman W 9-3, 9-1, 9-3.
* The fifth mixed team completed their first season with an 8-1 loss to Kibworth Seconds.
Nigel Crymble/ Jill Woods won one set to avoid a whitewash, but uneven matches are always a hazard in the lowest divisions as new teams work their way up the leagues.
Scores: Nigel Crymble/Jill Woods L 8-9, 6-9, W 9-1; Matt Daniel/Eileen Merrison L 5-9, 3-9, 2-9; Selwyn Carter/Libby Kingsley L 0-9, 6-9, 2-9.
* The ladies’ veterans first team gained a 4-4 draw with Market Harborough which included two tie-break set wins by Harborough.
With other clubs still to complete their matches the team will have to wait and see if this result is good enough to retain their Group Two status.
Scores: Jenny Golland/Rosie Gildove D 6-7, 6-3; W 6-2, 6-2. Margaret Heggs/Cindy Coulter L 4-6, 6-7; D 6-2, 0-6.