Hamilton Tennis Club’s teams enjoyed had mixed results last week.
The men’s first team won 6-3 against Lutterworth, led by Ryan Parmar and James Rowe with a maximum three sets, to gain a comfortable mid-table position in Group One.
Scores: Ryan Parmar/James Rowe W 9-4, 9-6, 9-2; Tom Rowe/Tom Elliss L 5-9, W 9-5, 9-1; Steve Wallace/Jack Elliss L 4-9, 6-9, W 9-3.
* The men’s fourth team gained a decisive 9-0 victory over bottom team Carisbrooke F to avoid relegation from Group 6B.
Scores: Bruce Smith/Barrie Farnsworth W 9-2, 9-8, 9-4; Justin Horobin/Graham Hall W 9-1, 9-2, 9-2; Selwyn Carter/Alex Horobin W 9-4, 9-5, 9-6.
* With the men’s second team clearly going to be in a mid-table position in Group 3A, skipper Ben Catlin decided to field some young players for their match against Syston Northfields first team.
All three performed well in a 5-4 victory and should be challenging for regular team positions next season.
Scores: Alex Lunn/Jimmi Cox W 9-5, L 8-9, 5-9; Alex Horobin/Justin Horobin W 9-7, 9-3, 9-5; Jack Griffin/Ben Catlin L 5-9, W 9-5, L 8-9.
* The ladies’ third team shaded Rothley Ivanhoe seconds 5-4 with two sets each from Sue Corfield and Rosie Gildove, and Margaret Heggs with Margaret Wright.
Cindy Coulter and Lesley Greaves also won a set, but the two tie-break defeats could have turned the result into a convincing win.
Scores: Sue Corfield/Rosie Gildove L 2-9, W 9-4, 9-1; Margaret Heggs/Margaret Wright W 9-4, L 8-9, W 9-3; Cindy Coulter/Lesley Greaves L 6-9, 8-9, W 9-8.
* The men’s third team lost 5-4 to Westfields firsts despite a three-set maximum from Andy Stevens and Mike Crane.
The tie-break lost by Andy Douglas and Joe Jackson turned the match against Hamilton.
Scores: Andy Stevens/Mike Crane W 9-6, 9-7, 9-6; Andy Douglas/Joe Jackson L 2-9, 2-9, 8-9; Doug Hacking/Ollie Aley L 3-9, 7-9, W 9-3.
* The ladies’ second team also lost by a 5-4 margin to Oadby Granville with two sets to Nicky Kennedy and Carol Gilchrist, and one set each to the other pairs.
Scores: Nicky Kennedy/Carol Gilchrist L 4-9, W 9-5, 9-4; Beth Lowe/Helen Roper L 3-9, 1-9, W 9-6; Jo Heggs/Margaret Heggs L 7-9, 5-9, W 9-6.
* The ladies’ fourth team faced top team Hinckley Seconds and found a gulf in class, losing 8-1 with Sue Harrison and Jo Rowe gaining the consolation set and going close to a second.
Scores: Jude Plumb/Chris Stevens L 4-9, 3-9, 1-9; Sue Harrison/Jo Rowe L 5-9, W 9-8, L 7-9; Eileen Merrison/Pat Woolston L 1-9, 4-9, 4-9.