Hamilton Tennis Club’s under 16 girls’ team of Libby Duncan, Olivia Wilson, Abi Hickling and Beth Cavani came through a nail-biting match, 7-6, against Ashby Castle.
Libby and Beth won their singles, but lost their doubles, while Abi and Beth lost their singles, but won their doubles. This left the match hanging on a tie-break shootout which Libby and Beth shaded 10-8.
* The most convincing result of the week was men;s second team’s 9-0 win over Rothley Ivanhoe Thirds.
Ryan Parmar returned from university to partner Alex Lunn, while the pairings of Ben Catlin with Ollie Aley, and Jimmi Cox with Joe Jackson did equally well to win all their matches.
Scores: Ryan Parmar/Alex Lunn W 9-2, 9-1, 9-2; Ben Catlin/Ollie Aley W 9-3, 9-1, 9-4; Jimmi Cox/Joe Jackson W 9-3, 9-4, 9-1.
* The ladies’ third team were pleased to get a win on the board after some tough matches when they beat Market Harborough Seconds by eight sets to one.
Sue Corfield and Jenny Golland, and Margaret Heggs with Margaret Shufflebotham won a maximum three sets.
Scores: Sue Corfield/Jenny Golland W 9-8, 9-5, 9-2; Margaret Heggs/Margaret Shufflebotham W 9-2, 9-6, 9-3; Cindy Coulter/Sue Harrison L 3-9, W 9-6, 9-5.
* The men’s fourth team beat Rothley 7-2 with a maximum three sets from Will Harrison and Matt Daniel, and two sets each from Craig Tracey and Jack Griffin, and Bruce Smith with Steve Thompson.
Scores: Will Harrison/Matt Daniel W 9-8, 9-4, 9-7; Craig Tracey/Jack Griffin L 6-9, W 9-1, 9-1; Bruce Smith/Steve Thompson L 5-9, W 9-3, 9-3.
* Three narrow wins followed these victories.
The men’s fifth team pipped Carisbrooke H 5-4 with two sets each from Selwyn Carter and Graham Hall, and Joe Cunningham with Fraser Dalby.
Steve Plaistow and John Coleman won the other vital set to clinch victory.
Scores: Selwyn Carter/Graham Hall L 6-9, W 9-3, 9-8; Joe Cunningham/Fraser Dalby L 5-9, W 9-4, 9-4; Steve Plaistow/John Coleman W 9-7, L 2-9, 1-9.
* The men’s first team also recorded a 5-4 win against Loughborough.
There were two sets apiece for Luke Smith and Tom Elliss, and Jack Elliss with Daniel Blackburn, while Ryan Parmar and Ollie Aley clinched the other.
Scores: Luke Smith/Tom Elliss W 9-6, L 5-9, W 9-3; Jack Elliss/Daniel Blackburn W 9-8, L 6-9, W 9-6; Ryan Parmar/Ollie Aley L 4-9, W 9-7, L 4-9.
* The ladies’ second team edged Stoney Stanton Firsts 5-4 thanks to two sets each from Jo Heggs and Laura McMullen, and Beth Lowe with Jenny Golland.
Nicky Kennedy-Maggs and Rosie Gildove won the decisive fifth set.
Scores: Jo Heggs/Laura McMullen W 9-6, L 6-9, W 9-6; Beth Lowe/Jenny Golland L 3-9, W 9-6, 9-7; Nicky Kennedy-Maggs/Rosie Gildove L 5-9, 3-9, W 9-5.
* The least seen team are the men’s third team who have had one match rained off and another conceded to them by Leicestershire G.