Hamilton Tennis Club’s ladies’ second team produced a superb fightback to win a tight match against Oadby Granville.
After two rounds Hamilton were 4-2 down, needing to win all of the last three sets, and against the odds that is what they did.
Nicky Kennedy-Maggs with Carol Gilchrist and Laura McMullen with Jo Heggs won two sets each, and Beth Lowe with Jenny Golland won one for victory.
But the result may yet not be enough to maintain their position in Group Two.
Scores: Beth Lowe/Jenny Golland L 4-9, 5-9, W 9-3; Nicky Kennedy-Maggs/Carol Gilchrist W 9-4, 9-4, L 7-9; Laura McMullen/Jo Heggs W 9-8, 9-7, L 5-9.
* The ladies’ first team whitewashed Oadby Granville 9-0 with all pairs gaining maximum three sets.
Scores: Corinne Blythe/Jess Gadsby W 9-1, 9-2, 9-6; Georgie Ashmore/Charlie Griffin W 9-2, 9-6, 9-1; Di Burdett/Amelia Coltman W 9-1, 9-6, 9-6.
* The men’s first team completed their fixtures with a 6-3 win over Syston Northfields despite only fielding two pairs.
The result should see them retain a mid-table position in Group One.
Scores: Ryan Parmar/Tom Elliss W 9-6, 9-4, 9-2; Ben MacTaggart/Jack Elliss W 9-3, 9-1, 9-2.
* The men’s fifth team gained a 7-2 win over Rothley Ivanhoe Sixths with three sets each from Selwyn Carter and Graham Hall, and Keith Galloway with Edwin Shufflebotham.
Having completed their fixtures the team will have to wait and see if their points tally is enough for promotion from Group Eight while other teams complete their rain-delayed matches.
Scores: Selwyn Carter/Graham Hall W 9-1, 9-1, 9-3; Joe Cunningham/Fraser Rabbit-Dalby L 4-9, W 9-3, L 6-9; Keith Galloway/Edwin Shufflebotham W 9-3, 9-1, 9-5.
* The ladies’ third team pipped Rothley Ivanhoe Seconds 5-4.
Margaret Heggs and Margaret Shufflebotham won three sets, including a nail-biting tie-break win with the scores level at 4-4 to clinch the match.
Scores: Sue Corfield/Rosie Gildove L 5-9, 4-9, W 9-3; Margaret Heggs/Margaret Shufflebotham W 9-6, 9-7, 9-8; Cindy Coulter/Sue Harrison W 9-3, L 4-9, 2-9.
* The men’s second team played out very close sets against Oadby Granville Seconds and narrowly lost 5-4.
There were two sets each from Joe Jackson and Alex Lunn, and Oliver Aley with Ben Catlin who just lost out on a crucial tie-break.
Scores: Joe Jackson/Alex Lunn W 9-7, L 7-9, W 9-6; Oliver Aley/Ben Catlin L 8-9, W 9-7, 9-7; Doug Hacking/Jack Griffin L 2-9, 2-9, 7-9.
* The men’s fourth team lost 6-3 to Gynsill Thirds.
Nigel Crymble and Lewis Postle won two sets, and Craig Tracey with Joe Cunningham won the other.
Scores: Nigel Crymble/Lewis Postle W 9-5, L 7-9, W 9-5; Craig Tracey/Joe Cunningham W 9-8, L 2-9, 2-9; Edwin Shufflebotham/Steve Plaistow L 8-9, 5-9, 4-9.
* The ladies’ fourth team lost 7-2 to Birstall Firsts with one set each from Eileen Merrison and Davina Adams, and Jill Woods with Emily Harrison.
With two rain-delayed matches still to play, the team are unlikely to avoid relegation.
Scores: Eileen Merrison/Davina Adams L 3-9, 4-9, W 9-4; Jill Woods/Emily Harrison L 4-9, 6-9, W 9-2; Polly Dolby/Hazel Crymble L 4-9, 8-9, 3-9.
* Hamilton TC recently held their club competition to qualify for the Junior Road to Wimbledon which is for children aged 14 and under.
The winners of the Hamilton competition were Libby Duncan and Oliver Roberts and both go through to the county round at the Dan Maskell Centre in Loughborough.