Hamilton Tennis Club are looking to break a sequence and win the Mercury Cup final this weekend after easing through their semi-final.
The mixed team of Charlotte Griffin, Tom Rowe, Ryan Parmar, Corinne Blythe, Ben MacTaggart and Jess Gadsby whitewashed Oadby Granville to reach the final for the second year running.
Team captain Charlotte will be hoping to change the club’s record as beaten finalists when they face Ashby Castle on Saturday.
* The men’s first team lost by the narrowest of margins, 5-4, to Leicester Forest East Seconds.
Ben MacTaggart and Daniel Blackburn led the team with three sets, while Ryan Parmar and Ben Catlin won one, but lost two very close sets.
Scores: Ben MacTaggart/Daniel Blackburn W 9-1, 9-4, 9-3; Ryan Parmar/Ben Catlin L 8-9, W 9-4, L 7-9; Joe Jackson/Jimmi Cox L 4-9, 1-9, 2-9.
* The men’s third team beat Enderby Firsts 6-3 with each pair winning two sets, but unable to make any impression on their first pair.
Scores: Mike Crane/Jack Griffin L 3-9, W 9-0, 9-2; Doug Hacking/Will Harrison L 3-9, W 9-4, 9-1; Steve Thompson/Bruce Smith L 2-9, W 9-8, 9-1.
* The men’s fourth team won 8-1 against Newtown Linford with Selwyn Carter and Graham Hall, and Edwin Shufflebotham with Nigel Crymble winning maximum three sets.
Scores: Selwyn Carter/Graham Hall W 9-5, 9-0, 9-1; Fraser Rabbit-Dalby/Joe Cunningham W 9-1, L 4-9, W 9-2; Edwin Shufflebotham/Nigel Crymble W 9-2, 9-0, 9-8.
* The men’s second team lost 6-3 to Leicester Forest East Thirds with each pair winning a set.
Scores: Justin Horobin/Alex Lunn W 9-6, L 7-9, 6-9; Oliver Aley/Ben Catlin L 2-9, W 9-8, L 8-9; Joe Jackson/Jimmi Cox L 4-9, W 9-5, L 6-9.
* The ladies’ third team lost 8-1 to top team Hinckley Firsts with Sue Corfield and Helen Roper winning the consolation set.
Scores: Sue Corfield/Helen Roper L 3-9, 5-9, W 9-7; Margaret Heggs/Margaret Shufflebotham L 5-9, 4-9, 5-9; Cindy Coulter/Sue Harrison L 3-9, 1-9, 0-9.
* The veterans’ teams have again had mixed results with the men’s second team leading the way with a comfortable 6-2 win over Birstall Watermead. Edwin Shufflebotham and Graham Hall led the team with a maximum four sets, and Joe Cunningham with Fraser Rabbit-Dalby won two.
Scores: Edwin Shufflebotham/Graham Hall W 6-2, 6-4; W 6-2, 6-3. Joe Cunningham/Fraser Rabbit-Dalby L 4-6, 3-6; W 6-0, 6-2.
* The ladies’ veterans third team gained their first point of the season with a 4-4 draw against Ashby Castle Seconds.
Each pair won two sets, but Jo Draper-Moore and Christine Stanley just missed out on a win when they lost their final set on a tie-break.
Scores: Christine Stanley/Jo Draper Moore W 6-1, 6-3; L 2-6, 6-7. Alison Stone/Wendy Farnsworth W 6-1, 6-4; L 4-6, 1-6.
* The ladies’ veterans second team lost 6-2 to Kibworth with one set from each pair.
Scores: Sue Corfield/Margaret Shufflebotham D 7-5, 3-6; L 5-7, 2-6. Cindy Coulter/Lesley Greaves L 2-6, 1-6; D 7-6, 3-6.
* The men’s veterans first team lost 6-2 to David Lloyd 2 whose first pair were too strong.
Scores: Doug Hacking/Steve Plaistow L 1-6, 1-6; D 6-4, 4-6. Steve Thompson/Barrie Farnsworth L 1-6, 1-6; D 6-4, 4-6.
* The ladies’ veterans second team also lost 6-2 to Charnwood with Jill Woods and Helen Roper drawing both of their matches.
Scores: Jill Woods/Helen Roper D 7-5, 2-6; D 6-4, 4-6; Polly Dolby/Margaret Heggs L 1-6, 6-7; L 2-6, 2-6.