Hamilton Tennis Club will be represented in the final of the Mercury Cup, a knock-out competition for mixed teams.
The club’s top mixed team made it through to Saturday’s final which will be held at Carisbrooke Tennis Club, in Leicester, from 2pm.
* Hamilton men’s first team managed a narrow 5-4 win over Ashby Castle thanks to a three-set maximum from Tom Rowe and Ben Wallace. Steve Wallace and James Rowe backed them up with two sets to clinch victory.
Scores: Tom Rowe/Ben Wallace W 9-5, 9-4, 9-5; Steve Wallace/James Rowe W 9-7, L 4-9, W 9-5; Ryan Parmar/Geoff Wallace L 2-9, 2-9, 4-9.
* The ladies’ first team defeated Roundhill 6-3 to reinforce their position at the top of Group One.
Each pair won two sets, but Di Burdett and Charlie Griffin, and Laura Morley with Amelia Coltman also lost tie-break sets to Roundhill’s top pair.
Scores: Di Burdett/Charlie Griffin L 8-9, W 9-4, 9-0; Amelia Coltman/Laura Morley L 8-9, W 9-6, 9-0; Georgie Ashmore/Jess Gadsby L 0-9, W 9-4, 9-2.
* The ladies’ fourth team continued their winning ways with a 9-0 victory over Loughborough Thirds which included two winning tie-breaks.
Scores: Jude Plumb/Jill Woods W 9-3, 9-8, 9-1; Sue Harrison/Jo Rowe W 9-2, 9-2, 9-0; Eileen Merrison/Pat Woolston W 9-8, 9-4, 9-2.
* The ladies’ third team came up against top team Charnwood Seconds and lost 7-2, Sue Corfield and Rosie Gildove recording the winning sets.
Scores: Sue Corfield/Rosie Gildove L 1-9, W 9-6, 9-4; Lesley Greaves/Cindy Coulter L 4-9, 6-9, 7-9; Margaret Heggs/Margaret Wright L 3-9, 6-9, 0-9.
* The men’s fourth team lost 7-2 to Charnwood Thirds with Bruce Smith and Matt Daniel winning the two sets.
The results will need to improve if the team are to avoid relegation.
Scores: Bruce Smith/Matt Daniel W 9-8, 9-2, L 6-9; Graham Hall/Craig Tracey L 6-9, 5-9, 2-9; Selwyn Carter/Edwin Shufflebotham L 5-9, 4-9, 1-9.
* The men’s veterans second team gained their first points of the season with a 4-4 draw against Welland Park.
Scores: Edwin Shufflebotham/Keith Galloway W 6-1, 6-1; L 2-6, 2-6; Graham Hall/Joe Cunningham W 6-4, 6-4; L 1-6, 4-6.
* The ladies’ veterans teams struggled with unavailability and injuries and the first team of Sue Corfield, Margaret Heggs, Pat Woolston and Eileen Merrison lost 7-1 to Leicester Forest East. Sue and Margaret took the consolation set.
The second team of Hazel Crymble, Di Green, Chris Stevens and Jill Woods lost 6-2 to David Lloyd with Chris and Jill winning two sets.
* The under 12s boys A team of Barnaby Stanley-Thompson, Ciaran Boylan, Will Kirk and Harry Spencer beat Grangewood 4-2 with Ciaran, Will and Harry winning their singles, and Will and Harry combining to win their doubles.
* Hamilton will be hosting their second open day of the year on Saturday, June 27.
All are welcome to come and have some fun with tennis.