Hamilton Tennis Club’s mixed third team are just one win away from promotion from Group Eight after defeating neighbours Belvoir Vale last week.
They just need to win their last match against their nearest challengers Market Bosworth to be sure of going up after the 8-1 win.
Against Belvoir, Ben Catlin and Laura McMullen, and Andy Stevens with Jenny Golland scored maximum three sets, while Joe Jackson with Beth Lowe just missed out on maximum points when they lost a tie-break.
Scores: Ben Catlin/Laura McMullen W 9-5, 9-5, 9-5; Joe Jackson/Beth Lowe L 8-9, W 9-2, 9-7; Andy Stevens/Jenny Golland W 9-6, 9-2, 9-5.
* The second mixed team will also be confident of consecutive promotions after edging nearest challengers Lutterworth Firsts 5-4.
Tom Elliss with Carol Gilchrist, and Justin Horobin with Nicky Kennedy-Maggs won two sets each, and Jack Elliss with Jo Heggs won a set to clinch the match.
Scores: Jack Elliss/Jo Heggs L 7-9, 5-9, W 9-7; Tom Elliss/Carol Gilchrist W 9-2, L 5-9, W 9-2; Justin Horobin/Nicky Kennedy-Maggs W 9-5,L 4-9, W 9-7.
* The fourth mixed team secured a tight 5-4 victory against Carisbrooke C with Jenny Golland and Will Harrison leading the team with a maximum three sets.
They were well supported by Emily Harrison with Steve Thompson who won two sets.
Scores: Jenny Golland/Will Harrison W 9-6, 9-8, 9-7; Sue Harrison/Barrie Farnsworth L 8-9, 3-9, 6-9; Emily Harrison/Steve Thompson L 6-9, W 9-5, 9-8.
* The first mixed team were disappointed to lose their unbeaten record in a re-arranged match with Carisbrooke A, losing 6-3.
James Rowe and Charlie Griffin won two sets and lost a tie-break while Ryan Parmar and Jess Gadsby won a set, but they will now find it difficult to make up ground on leaders Carisbrooke.
Scores: James Rowe/Charlie Griffin L 8-9, W 9-5, 9-2; Ryan Parmar/Jess Gadsby L 3-9, 4-9, W 9-5; Tom Rowe/Jenny Golland L 2-9, 5-9, 6-9.
* In the veterans’ league, the men’s second team whitewashed Birstall Watermead with Edwin Shufflebotham and Selwyn Carter conceding only one game in four sets.
Scores: Edwin Shufflebotham/Selwyn Carter W 6-1, 6-0; W 6-0, 6-0. Joe Cunningham/Carl Westerman W 6-2, 6-3; W 6-0, 6-0.
* The ladies’ second team beat Leicester Forest East Fourths 6-2 with Eileen Merrison and Pat Woolston winning all four sets.
Scores: Di Green/Chris Stevens D 6-2, 2-6; D 2-6, 6-4. Eileen Merrison/Pat Woolston W 6-3, 6-1; W 6-4, 6-3.
* The other veterans did not fare too well as the men’s first team lost 6-2 to Oadby Granville Seconds with Doug Hacking and Dave Gildove gaining the two sets.
Scores: Doug Hacking/Dave Gildove D 4-6, 6-2; D 3-6, 6-4. Steve Thompson/Barrie Farnsworth L 1-6, 4-6; L 3-6, 4-6.
* The ladies’ first team lost by the same score to Leicester Forest East with each pair winning one set and will be relegated.
Scores: Sue Corfield/Jenny Golland L 6-7, 2-6; D 6-1, 4-6. Rosie Gildove/Margaret Roskell L 3-6,0-6; D 6-1, 4-6.
* The ladies’ third team also lost 6-2 to Loughborough with both pairs winning a set.
Scores: Hazel Crymble/Alison Stone L 5-7, 3-6; D 5-7, 6-3. Brenda Langridge/Jill Woods L 2-6, 1-6; D 2-6, 6-4.