Hamilton Tennis Club’s first mixed team won their rain-delayed match against Ashby Castle to retain their Leicestershire Division One mixed title.
The team was led by skipper Charlie Griffin who was ever-present and only lost one set all season, and that was on a tie-break.
Against Ashby, Charlie with Tom Rowe, and Jess Gadsby with Ryan Parmar won three sets each, while Carol Gilchrist with Jack Elliss won one to complete a 7-2 victory.
The other members of the mixed first team squad were James Rowe, Steve Wallace, Chris Starkey, Amelia Coltman, Corinne Blythe, Di Burdett and Jenny Golland.
* In the winter leagues, the men’s first team beat Rothley Ivanhoe 5-3 with Ryan Parmar and Tom Elliss leading the team with three sets, and Steve Wallace with Jack Elliss winning two for victory.
Scores: Ryan Parmar/Tom Elliss D 5-7, 6-3; W 6-0, 6-4. Steve Wallace/Jack Elliss L 5-7, 0-6; W 6-3, 6-1.
* The ladies’ first team lost 5-3 to Gynsill, the first of a series of narrow defeats for Hamilton.
Nicky Kennedy-Maggs and Laura McMullen won two sets and lost a close tie-break to the opposition’s top pair, and Jo Heggs with Sue Corfield won one set.
Scores: Nicky Kennedy Maggs/Laura McMullen L 6-7, 0-6; W 6-2, 6-3. Jo Heggs/Sue Corfield L 1-6, 0-6; D 2-6, 6-4.
* The ladies’ second team lost a long, close match 5-3 to Kibworth Firsts with both pairs losing a tie-break and then winning 7-5 in the first round.
The second round saw Hamilton’s Jo Rowe and Rosie Gildove win one set.
Scores: Margaret Shufflebotham/Cindy Coulter D 6-7, 7-5; L 4-6, 0-6. Jo Rowe/Rosie Gildove D 6-3, 2-6; D 6-7, 7-5.
* The men’s third team lost 5-3 to Leicester Forest East with two tie-break sets going to the opposition.
Joe Jackson and Doug Hacking won two sets, and Graham Hall with Dave Gildove won the other.
Scores: Dave Gildove/Graham Hall D 1-6, 7-6; L 4-6, 3-6. Joe Jackson/Doug Hacking L 6-7, 6-7; W 6-1, 6-0.
* The ladies’ third team lost 5-3 to Belvoir Vale with Polly Dolby and Hazel Crymble winning the three sets.
Scores: Polly Dolby/Hazel Crymble D 4-6, 7-5; W 6-4, 6-4. Jill Woods/Chris Stevens L 3-6, 4-6; L 2-6, 2-6.