Westerby Cup: Holwell Sports 0-2 Quorn

Have your say

Holwell’s cup adventures ended for another season as Quorn eased through a quarter-final which was played at the third attempt on Tuesday.

After twice failing to fulfil the fixture at their own ground because of adverse weather, Quorn were forced into reversing this tie, and the Welby Road pitch was in good condition for kick-off.

Daws made one change from Saturday’s victory over Kimberley Miners Welfare as Keast returned to the starting XI with Barnard dropping to the bench. Hibbitt passed a late fitness test to resume his role in central midfield.

Holwell struggled to get a foothold as Quorn pressed high upfield, and kept possession well while they looked to penetrate the home defence.

Despite all of their possession, Quorn failed to create any clear-cut chances. But the visitors’ patience paid off after 20 minutes when two goals in three minutes changed the complexion of the tie.

Firstly, Turner broke the offside trap and fired past Stainsby who got a good hand on the shot, but couldn’t keep it out.

Minutes later Wakeling doubled the lead, heading in at the near post from Brennan’s corner.

Quorn continued to dominate possession, leaving Holwell frustrated that two lapses in concentration had handed a huge advantage to their well-organised opponents.

Fired up by a half-time dressing down, Holwell looked to take the game to Quorn and gave it a real go. Quorn still looked to keep possession, but on a surface which began to cut up badly, they began to make mistakes as Holwell pressed high up field.

From Chapman’s free kick, Ridout challenged the keeper, but the loose ball was hacked to safety with the goal gaping. Stannard then flashed a cross along the six-yard box with no-one able to get the decisive touch, while Mooney and Foster just failed to connect with Chapman’s teasing cross.

With Holwell enjoying their best spell, a prime chance fell to top scorer Mooney who seized on a loose pass along the Quorn back line, but dragged his shot wide when one-on-one with the keeper.

The game was effectively over when a second yellow card in five minutes saw Hibbitt dismissed for two late challenges.

Barnard came on for Stannard, and for the final 25 minutes, the game was played at Quorn’s tempo as they saw out the match comfortably.

Up next for Holwell is a trip to Borrowash Victoria in the league on Saturday (kick-off 3pm).

Holwell: Stainsby, Calver, Rose, Ridout, Chapman, Foster, Stevenson, Hibbitt, Keast, Stannard (Barnard 70), Mooney. Subs not used: Smith, Wells, Denigan.