Senior League: Win double for Melton Mowbray FC

Melton Mowbray 6-1 Earl Shilton Albion EMN-160427-104401002
Melton Mowbray 6-1 Earl Shilton Albion EMN-160427-104401002
Have your say

Melton Mowbray strolled to their second victory at their new sports village home as they closed the gap on second-placed Sileby.

The 6-1 win over Earl Shilton moved Melton within two points of Sileby in the Senior League Premier, but a 2-1 win for leaders Birstall at Friar Lane and Epworth, finally put top spot out of reach.

Melton Mowbray joint managers Matt Curtis and Cliff Thornton look on EMN-160427-104511002

Melton Mowbray joint managers Matt Curtis and Cliff Thornton look on EMN-160427-104511002

Ash Palfreyman continued his great goalscoring form with a first-half double and Jake Wain made it 3-0 at half-time.

Dave Hazeldine scored after the break to put the game to bed before skipper Tom Cooper added the fifth with a tap-in.

Palfreyman completed the rout with his hat-trick goal and take his tally to 15 for the season.

Earl Shilton scored a late consolation, and Melton’s day was spoilt when a challenge on young Alex Horobin ended his season and forced him to hospital with ankle ligament damage.

Melton Mowbray 6-1 Earl Shilton Albion EMN-160427-104415002

Melton Mowbray 6-1 Earl Shilton Albion EMN-160427-104415002

* On Saturday, Melton play their penultimate match of the season at Ashby Ivanhoe Reserves (kick-off 3pm).

* Melton Mowbray Reserves recorded their second consecutive win in Leics Combination at Desford on Saturday.

They travelled with only 12 players, and knew they were in for a fight. Kieran Watson made his first start for the club, alongside debutants Ryan Franklin and Sam Taylor, while Rory Gavin, normally a holding midfielder, found himself in goal.

Melton got out of the blocks quickest and Watson went through in the first minute only to rattle the post. He had another opportunity minutes later and this time took to score his first goal for Melton.

Desford enjoyed a good 10-minute spell and found a way through the central defence of Franklin and Routen to score three quick goals, each of which left Gavin standing.

A stunned Melton responded by creating further chances with Newton and Snow impressive in the final third, and Taylor and Watson supporting well.

The central midfield pair of Hill and Harby impressed, as they continued to push forward before a head injury to Harry Hall stopped play.

Once treated and bandaged up, Hall carried on and drove Melton on, and soon the tireless Snow struck for Melton to reduce the deficit at half-time.

Melton continued to dominate after half-time as Jack Hall, Watson and Newton went close.

Snow also had chances before Newton scored Melton’s equaliser when he found himself unmarked in the six-yard box.

Every Desford attack was shut out by the defensive pair of Routen and Franklin, who improved as the game went on.

Aaron Watson came on to replace his brother and repeated his sibling’s feat by hitting the post with a well-struck shot.

And all three points went to Melton when Harby burst forward and scored his fourth goal in two games to make it just one defeat in six games.

Manager Jason Hall said: “The hard work is paying off now, as this week we saw two of our developing players, Smith and Horobin, called up to the first team.

“It meant we were down to the bare bones, so we always knew we had to go their fighting, and even when we were 3-1 down, we didn’t give up.”