Mowbray Rangers ease past Asfordby FC in derby

Have your say

Mowbray Rangers eased to a comprehensive derby win at Asfordby Hill on Sunday.

Mowbray attacked straight from kick-off with Noah Hack’s shot forcing the Asfordby keeper to save well.

The home side were firing on all cylinders and Alex Corker was on top form on the left, taking on Asfordby players before shooting wide before Dylan Hill’s shot went close.

Hack was on super form, running at the defence trying to get that all-important opener, but Asfordby defended well against a formidable attack, and almost pounced on a Rangers’ slip-up, shooting just over. Mowbray keeper Jamie Goodwin was in good form, making good saves and supporting his defence.

Mowbray opened the scoring when Hill’s pass split Asfordby’s defence and found Hack who chipped the Asfordby keeper.

Hugo Cantrill was in majestic form in controlling Mowbray’s defence, while Callum Cowan stood firm and was brilliant going forward.

Will Sercombe and Ben Godfrey bossed midfield and Mowbray were soon 2-0 up in the second half when Sercombe set Corker away to run through Asfordby’s defence and fire in an unstoppable shot.

Kyle Salinger started the move which led to the third goal, finding Sercombe who combined with Hill to find Corker who knocked the ball into the net.

Mowbray were in control and soon four goals ahead when Sercombe found space and took the ball around four opponents to seal a well-deserved victory.

A late surge by Asfordby was stopped by the excellent defence of Cantrill, Cowan and Cook.

Rangers: H. Cantrill, G. Cook, A. Corker, C. Cowan, B. Godfrey, J. Goodwin, N. Hack, D. Hill, K. Salinger, W. Sercombe.

Leics Under 11s Division Three



A big, strong Cosby side were simply out-passed and overrun by another fine Foxes display.

Both teams tried to get to grips with a frosty surface early on, but Joey Smith, Sam Chipman and Nathan Boivin linked well to free Toby Lumb who went close with a shot. Harry Window then forced a save after good work from Freddie Welch and Max McCarthy.

Tom Fairbrother broke down an attack and found Chipman who released Lumb again. Fine work on the left from Boivin and Lumb saw the ball break to Window who bravely beat two defenders to the ball to smash it into the roof of the net.

The Foxes midfield of McCarthy, Chipman and Boivin pinned Cosby in their own half, and it was 2-0 when Smith fired in a free kick.

Great link-up play again saw Boivin freed on the left to run past three opponents and finish.

Foxes started the second half in the same attacking mood with Window and Lumb constantly pressuring Cosby’s defence. A string of corners brought no reward, but when Lumb had another shot saved, Chipman followed in to make it 4-0.

The hosts tried to fool Gill with a long bouncing ball, but the keeper collected easily, while McCarthy had Cosby retreating in numbers as he forged forward.

Further intense pressure went unrewarded, but a fantastic team display and midfield masterclass from man-of-the-match Chipman.

Foxes: C. Gill, J. Smith, F. Welch, T. Fairbrother, S. Chipman (c), M. McCarthy, N. Boivin, H. Window, T. Lumb.

Leics Under 16s Division One



Melton threw away a 3-1 lead in a second half collapse which saw them hand the points to fellow strugglers Glenfield.

Within two minutes Harrison Mayes’ fine run and low cross found Shaun Smith who miscued his shot.

Seconds later another good move set Cameron Steans free and his fierce shot was deflected for a corner. From the set piece, Mayes’ swirling cross was dropped by the keeper and Steans pounced.

Keeper Joe Thorn saved a point-blank header before diving to his left to save a long-range effort as Glenfield responded.

The hosts levelled after half-an-hour when Melton failed to clear and Thorn was beaten from six yards.

Straight from the restart, Smith flicked on a long ball to Steans who curled in a fine shot from the edge of the area.

Foxes went further ahead after 36 minutes. Mayes was again involved in the build-up before Steans’ curling shot hit the post and Smith collected the loose ball, beat his man and blasted in.

Just four minutes after half-time, Foxes failed to clear a corner, and with keeper Thorn seemingly impeded, the ball was forced in from close range.

Melton were too often guilty of playing in the muddy centre of the pitch, and following another low cross the hosts tapped in the equaliser.

Glenfield completed their amazing fightback in the 70th minute when Melton again conceded possession in a promising position and another low cross was eventually bundled in.

Ben Wilkinson, Tom Hope and Chris Lovegrove came on to try and save the game and the latter sent over three crosses which the forwards failed to finish.

Lewis Thorpe drove over from a half-hit clearance, and with two minutes left Thorpe put Smith through on the right, but with just the keeper to beat, the striker blazed wide.

Foxes: J. Thorn, C. Beeken, J. Nickolls, G. Wilkinson, J. Bates, K. Jones, A. Walker, L. Thorpe, H. Mayes, S. Smith, C. Steans, B. Wilkinson, T. Hope, C. Lovegrove.