Melton Town look to strengthen after Wellingborough defeat

John Love bagged his fourth goal of the season at Wellingborough EMN-160111-115350002
John Love bagged his fourth goal of the season at Wellingborough EMN-160111-115350002
Have your say

Melton Town will be looking to add new recruits and improve their fortunes after slipping to a second successive league defeat at Wellingborough on Saturday.

Tony Thorpe’s side made the long trip to Northamptonshire looking for an improvement after some inconsistent performances despite grinding out three wins from their previous four games.

Melton went on the attack right from the first whistle and should have scored within a minute.

A quick run down the right from Cufflin-Stableford saw him cut in from the byline and stab a cross into the penalty area where Byrne skewed his shot off target when it would seemed easier to score.

A few minutes later a long ball over the top of the Whitworth defence found Byrne clear on goal, but on a difficult pitch the forward couldn’t bring the ball under control and another chance went begging.

Palfreyman was also given a clear opportunity in the 12th minute and again the pitch played its part as his usual clinical finishing went missing and the final shot went inches wide.

Whitworth went in front against the run of play when a long ball caught Lapworth wrong-footed and Remy Brittain found himself clear on goal.

He drew Melton keeper King and slipped a sideways pass to Theo Alcindor who calmly slotted into an empty net.

Five minutes later a Whitworth corner found man-of-the-match Brittain unmarked in front of goal and he confidently headed in a second.

A third goal on half-time for the hosts appeared to put the game to bed when another punted ball caught the Melton defence asleep, and having beaten the offside trap, Brittain slotted his shot under the advancing King.

The second half started pretty much as the first half with Melton straight on the attack, and within three minutes they had squandered three one-on-ones with the keeper.

It seemed only a matter of time that Town would score and they duly did in the 50th minute.

A corner was swung in and Cufflin-Stableford volleyed a shot with so much power that the clearance off the line spun back into the net to give Melton a lifeline.

A few minutes later Melton were back in the game when Whitworth again failed to clear a corner.

John Love’s finish was again cleared off the line, but hit the underside of the bar and, according to the assistant referee, bounced over the line much to the dismay of the home supporters.

Town found themselves camped in the Whitworth half for the rest of the game, but never managed to carve out any further chances.

Melton’s latest defeat dropped them back into mid-table ahead of their home match with Thrapston on Saturday (kick-off 3pm).

Town boss will hope to complete two, or even three, new signings in time for selection.

Town: A. King, B. Lapworth, L. Mann, S. Myring, A. Bishop, H. Calver, T. Byrne, J. Baker, J. Cufflin-Stableford, A. Palfreyman, J. Love.