Melton Town hold unbeaten Potton after dramatic finale

Tom Byrne returned from injury in Town's impressive performance against Potton EMN-171023-121421002
Tom Byrne returned from injury in Town's impressive performance against Potton EMN-171023-121421002
Have your say

Kieran Foster’s late equaliser brought Melton Town a richly-deserved point after outplaying unbeaten Potton United for large periods on Saturday.

After just one win in six league games, the last thing Melton wanted was the visit of Potton who were unbeaten in the league and coming off the back of their best run in the FA Cup.

Ben Lapworth puts in a challenge EMN-171023-121434002

Ben Lapworth puts in a challenge EMN-171023-121434002

Melton played the first half down the slope and with the wind behind them as the strong gusts of Storm Brian made possession football virtually impossible.

Both sides took their time to get to grips with the conditions, with the first proper attack not arriving until the 21st minute when Matt Chapman burst into Town’s box and appeared to be tripped by Ben Lapworth.

The referee waved play on, but reprieved himself when he awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box for a foul on Boughton. Danny Webb sent the free-kick around the wall and in off the post to put the visitors ahead.

But just two minutes later Town were level when an attack down the left saw George Vernon’s cross ricochet off United’s Charlie Saunders and fall to Zak Ginvert who slotted into the top corner from an acute angle.

Tom Byrne and Ginvert linked up to send Vernon clean through with only Cook to beat, but the keeper blocked the low shot.

A minute later Sheridan sent Vernon clean through with a beautiful pass only for Cook to save again.

Potton held a high line to combat the wind which caught Melton offside time and time again, but there were enough chances made to take a lead into the break.

Ginvert almost got onto the end of a Lapworth high ball which caught the Potton defence napping, and on the stroke of half-time, Mike Hendey’s free-kick from the right found Vernon unmarked at the back post, but the winger’s shot was just inches wide.

Town would now have to battle hard uphill and against a strong wind in the second half, but Potton spent the first 15 minutes trying to get to grips with the conditions, over-hitting balls as they were caught by the wind.

On the hour, Boughton’s long-range shot was parried away by Jamie Witham, and the resulting corner caught the wind, forcing Witham to tip over the bar.

Witham was again in action two minutes later when a one-two on the edge of the area teed up Harradine whose volley was tipped over the bar.

But Town started to do all of the pressing with Matt Hendey at the centre of most of the attacks.

A Hendey cross found substitute Foster who flicked a header onto the crossbar with the keeper beaten.

Matt Hendey sent Vernon through for yet another one-on-one, but Cook again came to the rescue with a fine save.

Then as the match went into injury-time, a tired-looking Lapworth clumsily fouled Meredith in the area.

Ryan Don’s low penalty to Witham’s right was brilliantly saved, but Webb knocked in the rebound to put Potton back in front.

Melton brushed themselves down and immediately went on the attack.

With the very last move of the match, Josh Clark sent a low cross into the box which was deflected to the edge of the area where Foster blasted a shot into the bottom corner.

A satisfactory draw with Melton coping better with the conditions and Town fans will hope they can take their performance into Saturday for their away trip to league leaders Raunds (kick-off 3pm).