Melton Town fume as FA order Vase replay after mix-up

It's all smiles as Michael Reeve's goal puts Melton ahead, but the celebrations were later put on ice
It's all smiles as Michael Reeve's goal puts Melton ahead, but the celebrations were later put on ice
Have your say

Confusion reigned after Melton Town were ordered to replay their FA Vase tie with Ingles despite beating them in a penalty shoot-out on Saturday.

Town shaded a tense clash 6-5 on penalties at Signright Park and were looking ahead to a second qualifying round match with Rugby Town a week on Saturday.

But on Monday the Football Association ordered the teams to replay the match after a mix-up over how the drawn game should be decided.

A rule introduced this year gives teams the option of ending the first tie with a penalty shoot-out if both sides preferred not to replay after extra time.

Both teams are believed to have requested replays before kick-off, only for the match officials to ask for penalties when the game finished 2-2.

Following an appeal by Ingles, the FA now say the tie must be decided in line with their original requests.

Town co-manager Jon Stevenson: “We are angry and disappointed, because we are the ones who lose out.

“It’s a long season and we could do without another midweek game if there’s no need for it.

“I don’t know if it was miscommunication with the ref or something else.

“It was all quite confusing; we got told the game needed to be concluded that day by extra time and penalties.

“At the end of the game I got the lads together to decide penalty takers and their manager came over, thanked us for the game and said we’ll see you at the replay.

“There was a bit of a melee around the referee so I asked what was going on and was told it’s penalties.”

Town chairman Sam Ellis added: “The referee, on the day, informed both teams it should be penalties and both teams objected, but shook hands on the decision.

“The FA have reversed the decision and we, as a club, accept this as it’s an FA ruling, but requested the tie be played next Wednesday rather than this Thursday to give us time to organise a coach and inform supporters.”

Town’s appeal was successful and the replay has been moved to Ingles’ Dovecote Stadium home, in Shepshed, next Wednesday (kick-off 7.45pm).

With plenty of views expressed across social media on both sides of the argument, feelings could be running high in the next meeting.

But Stevenson is keen to ensure his team are not distracted by the furore and focus purely on winning the tie.

“It will be an extra motivation for us; we have all put our views across,” he said.

“But there is nothing we can do expect go in an put an extra 10 per cent in to get the game done.

“The teams know each other now and there will be no surprises this time so it should be another good game.”