Melton Town extend perfect start with Michael Reeves double

Michael Reeve gave nine-man Town the lead EMN-180820-085038002
Michael Reeve gave nine-man Town the lead EMN-180820-085038002
Have your say

Michael Reeve showed his class with two great goals to move Melton Town into second in the table and maintain their 100 per cent start.

Sileby Rangers arrived at Signright Park with two wins from two this season having been relegated from the Premier last season, including knocking out higher ranked opponents in the FA Cup.

Melton were expecting a tough game, and so it proved as they started to boss the game after the hosts had bossed possession early on.

Gary Mills caused problems down the right and almost carved an opening goal when his pinpoint cross found the dangerous Silvano Obeng free in the box only for his soft touch to fall into the arms of Town keeper Rob Peet.

The very next attack saw Richards overplaying a cross which was picked up by Hewitt, but his shot flew over from an acute angle.

Minutes later Obeng received a long ball in the area and cleverly side-stepped the Melton defence, but fired over.

Sileby continued to dominate possession, but were kept at bay by the home defence.

The hosts then started to take full control, with Sam Thorpe and Hill running midfield.

And their pressure paid off on the half-hour when Sileby left-back Richards miscontrolled, allowing Parsons to steal the ball and play a quick pass to Reeve who drove into the area and slotted past Snow.

Duffy had a chance to take Sileby into the break level when he broke the defensive line only to shoot wide from 10 yards.

The second half carried on pretty much as the first finished with Melton in control and Sileby relying on Obeng and Duffy to conjure some magic.

Sileby’s only real chance for an equaliser came on 50 minutes when Joyce played in Duffy whose turn and first-time shot hit the foot of the post.

Melton double their advantage after an hour when a long ball downfield beat the defence and was collected by Reeve.

The striker held off Cooker and lobbed Snow with a great finish.

Melton showed their superiority as the defence and midfield shut Sileby out of the game.

Kyle Reek, a problem all match, received Peet’s long kick and played a one-two with Hill, via a great back heel, but Reek’s effort was inches over.

Minutes later a similar ball found Reek free again on the right. He danced past Herbert and beat the keeper only for his shot to be cleared off the line by Liburd.

Stevenson came on as substitute for his first appearance and nearly scored with his first attack.

Thorpe ran through the midfield and played in the sub whose first-time shot hit the foot of the post and rebounded to safety.

Parsons almost made it three in the last minute when he beat the defence and appeared to be brought down in the area.

He jumped back up and took a pot shot which went agonisingly across the six-yard box, missing the oncoming Reeve by inches.

This was Melton’s best performance of the season with the team looking more balanced and the subs making an impact against a very good side.

Town will go top, for 24 hours at least, with victory at home to Bugbrooke on Friday (kick-off 7.45pm).