Melton Town drop first league points in Bugbrooke St Michael draw

A dramatic rainbow greets the sides as Melton Town hosted Friday night football EMN-180827-101416002
A dramatic rainbow greets the sides as Melton Town hosted Friday night football EMN-180827-101416002
Have your say

Unbeaten Melton Town saw their 100 per cent start to the season ended in a home draw with Bugbrooke as Friday night football came to Signright Park.

Their first Friday night match was a surprisingly cold and wet affair against a Bugbrooke side who fielded the newly-signed former Inter Milan defender Francis Boateng.

Michael Reeve attempts to break through EMN-180827-101356002

Michael Reeve attempts to break through EMN-180827-101356002

The first half-hour was fought in midfield with the only real chance falling to the visitors from a free-kick which was swung into the crowded box.

Joe Power’s shot was miscued to Daniel Porter who was forced to rush his shot by Town keeper Rob Peet and the effort flew inches over the bar.

The hosts’ first real attempt on goal arrived in the 32nd minute and brought the opening goal.

Joe Lindley knocked a ball down the line which was touched past the oncoming Betts for Michael Reeve to collect, clip it round the keeper Spears and then finish into an empty net.

Bugbrooke became frustrated as the bench remonstrated after every decision which resulted in their manager being sent off.

But the visitors started to carve out a few chances and were rewarded on the stroke of half-time when a pass to the edge of the area found Power clear on goal who was sent sprawling as he rounded Peet.

Power made no mistake with the resulting penalty with a low powerful shot into the bottom-left corner.

Melton were dominant after the break with Lindley’s powerful 25-yard free-kick parried away by the keeper.

Spears could only touch Lindley’s corner on to Sam Wilson who powered a header into the roof of the net to restore Melton’s lead.

Almost straight from the kick-off, Bugbrooke went on the attack and were level.

When Town’s defence failed to clear a looping cross, Moore sent a low cross back into the area, and Porter turned and sent a first-time shot low into the net.

Then with just 12 minutes left, Town had a great chance of a third when Parsons received the ball in his own half and went on a brilliant run, beating three players and dancing into the area before he was crudely brought down by Betts.

But Parsons sent the penalty two yards over the bar.

But Melton didn’t drop their heads and with five minutes left, Lindley’s free-kick was tipped round the post by Spears.

Hibbitt then found Reeve in the clear, but his first-time drive flew just inches wide of the far post.

Bugbrooke celebrated the point which shows how much they rode their luck as Melton came off disappointed, but 10 points from four games is a good return and they find themselves top of Division One at the end of August.

Town take a break from league action this weekend when they host Ingles in the FA Vase on Saturday in front of what promises to be a big crowd, with the visitors expected to bring 200 supporters. Kick-off is 3pm.