Junior football: Melton Foxes; Asfordby FC and Asfordby Amateurs

Asfordby Amateurs girls under 15s in their new hoodies sponsored by L&H Exhausts EMN-150127-105050002
Asfordby Amateurs girls under 15s in their new hoodies sponsored by L&H Exhausts EMN-150127-105050002
Have your say

Six weeks since their previous game, Melton Foxes put Knighton Park to the sword, handing them their worse defeat of the season.

Foxes pressed from kick-off with midfield trio Max McCarthy, Sam Chipman and Nathan Boivin winning possession and driving forward to provide forwards Toby Lumb and Harry Window with early chances.

McCarthy was magical on the right, weaving past his opponents and releasing Window whose pass found Chipman to slot the opener.

Long Knighton clearances were dealt with easily by Joey Smith, Tom Fairbrother and Freddie Welch, and Smith made it 2-0, smashing in a free kick after McCarthy was felled outside the area.

More great work from Welch found McCarthy who beat two players and released Window whose speed took him into the area to make it 3-0.

Keeper Connor Gill was alert to any rare Knighton attacks, while Lumb caused Knighton’s defence plenty of problems with his strength and hard work.

McCarthy and Window combined again to tear open the visitors’ defence, and when Windows saw his shot saved, Chipman buried the rebound.

Less than a minute after half-time Lumb’s hard work paid off as he pressed and won the ball to score the fifth.

Fairbrother made another brave challenge and drove forward to find Boivin whose quick feet set up Window to round the keeper and make it 6-0.

Lumb went close again before the hosts further built their lead when more neat, fast passing found Chipman who completed a fine hat-trick.

Knighton pushed forward and score from the penalty spot, but Melton had the final word, Lumb forcing the keeper wide before finding Boivin who curled a sweet finish into the top corner.

Foxes: C. Gill, J. Smith, F. Welch, T. Fairbrother, S. Chipman (c), M. McCarthy, N. Boivin, H. Window, T. Lumb.

Leics Under 16s Division One



Despite battling bravely, Melton were well beaten in the end by top-of-the-table Desford.

Foxes were forced on the defensive from kick-off and trailed after 10 minutes when Desford’s centre-back headed a corner into the roof of the net.

More pressure kept Melton on the back foot, but keeper Joe Thorn was in good form and the Foxes broke quickly to snatch a 20th minute equaliser. Alex Walker won the ball in midfield and found striker Shaun Smith who cut inside and put Cameron Steans clear to drive past the advancing goalkeeper.

Desford regained the lead on the half-hour when Melton’s defence got in a tangle, leaving the striker to pounce on the loose ball from four yards.

And three minutes before half-time it was 3-1 after Melton’s defence again failed to clear.

Soon after the break, Desford added a fourth when keeper Thorn failed to gather a through ball and allowed the home forward to run on and finish into an empty net.

Within minutes it was 5-1 when a goalmouth scramble was only partially cleared and their winger drove past the unsighted Thorn from 12 yards.

Subs Kenny Jones and debutant Tom Hope came on and suddenly the Foxes started to get a foothold, pressuring the home defence and forcing two corners.

Melton had two more free kicks before they finally scored a second three minutes from time. From another accurate Jones corner, Lewis Thorpe raced in to send a thumping header past the keeper and open his Foxes’ account.

Overall a disappointing performance by the Foxes who will need to improve for Sunday’s visit of Quorn to the Mars ground (kick-off 2pm).

Foxes: J. Thorn, C. Beeken, J. Nickolls, B. Wilkinson, C. Lovegrove, B. Carroll, A. Walker, L. Thorpe, S. Smith, C. Steans, H. Mayes, K. Jones, T. Hope, C. McNeight.

Leics Under 15s Girls’ League



Asfordby put in one of their best performances of the season in a match where stylish football and hard work overcame Bedworth.

Charli Mellors had an outstanding first half, controlling the game from midfield and scoring two well-taken goals.

The visitors’ defence was overwhelmed by the pace of Sarah Brown and Alisha De’ath-Eccles who had chance after chance and should have put the game far out of reach by half-time.

They were well served by excellent passing from Sarah Anderson and Megan Chipman, and some of the football played was a pleasure to watch.

The second half was a different story as the visitors fought to get back into the game, but the girls dug deep and Bethan Saffhill, Fiona Triggs and Harriet North had to be well organised in defence, with keeper Izzy Harrison untroubled.

But the game was won by disciplined midfield performances from Mia Atherley and Amber Wiltshire who worked together to protect the lead.

Late on Sarah Brown was bundled over in the box and Mellors converted the spot kick for her hat-trick, and Brown got on the scoresheet just afterwards with a clinical finish from a fine through ball.

Poppy Robling played her second game for the club, and looks a great addition to the team with her battling play.

Amateurs: I. Harrison, H. North, B. Saffhill (c), F. Triggs, M. Atherley, S. Anderson, M. Chipman, A. Wiltshire, C. Mellors, A. De’ath-Eccles, S. Brown. Sub: P. Robling.

Leics Under 13s League Cup



Asfordby booked themselves a tie at Division One side Oadby with an excellent away win on Sunday.

After a period of possession, Asfordby found themselves behind from a Quorn counter-attack, rounding keeper Thompson and slotting into the empty net.

With Quorn looking to score again, the midfield of Cook, Jolliffe and Saffhill had their work cut out, but the Lions were level when Saffhill crossed for Price to strike the equaliser.

Yet again Quorn attacked, forcing the defence of Edgson, Wallis and Beedie to concede consecutive corners which eventually led to Quorn’s second goal.

Good play from the midfield allowed Hill to chase down a pass and level matters once more shortly before half-time.

The second half started at the same frantic pace as the first with both sides going for goal.

Thompson was kept on his toes dealing with Quorn’s through balls as Ladjimi came on as substitute.

Asfordby closed down Quorn’s defence and Hill popped up to score the winner with a blistering left-footed shot on the turn.

Both teams counter-attacked right up to the final whistle.