Holwell Sports too strong for misfiring Gedling Miners Welfare

Michael Stevenson's free-kick set up Kieran Foster for the opener on Saturday EMN-160509-095703002
Michael Stevenson's free-kick set up Kieran Foster for the opener on Saturday EMN-160509-095703002
Have your say

Holwell Sports rediscovered their goal touch as they took advantage of a disappointing Gedling side in a one-sided match.

After two blanks in their previous two fixtures, Holwell were in the faces of Gedling from kick-off with Mark Tinsley given a half-chance to open the scoring.

John Webster’s side was strong in all departments, coping best with the fast surface caused by the heavy rain before kick-off.

Gedling were trying to get something going as Tom Crisp fired over from the edge of the box, but the hosts looked the likely scorers.

And after a couple of improved moves involving Reeves on the right, Holwell were awarded a free-kick in a central position when Chris Hibbitt was bundled to the ground.

Keeper Scott Miles got fully behind Michael Stevenson’s free-kick, but spilled the ball and Kieran Foster reacted quickest to chip the rebound over the keeper for 1-0.

Gedling were struggling to cope as Holwell dominated across the pitch with both full-backs David Reeves and Chiavetta using width to good effect, Bitmead and Ridout solid in central defence and Hibbitt, Stevenson, Hammond and Chapman running the show in midfield.

And when tested keeper Witham showed good concentration and positioning for the two or three times he had to make a save.

As in previous weeks chances were being created, but not finished off as Miles kept Holwell at bay and recovered well to save from Tinsley.

But it wasn’t long before Holwell extended their lead. Chapman and Chiavetta combined with a short corner on the right, and when Chapman sent in another pinpoint cross, Tinsley nodded in his first of the campaign.

Half-time couldn’t come quick enough for Gedling who had to regroup.

Gedling did up their game at the start of the second half, and their best chances arrived a minute after the break as Bitmead cleared off the line after good work by Chris Hall.

But the fightback was short-lived and Gedling soon ran out of steam and were back to chasing shadows as Holwell’s superior fitness and pace shone through.

Holwell had a surefire penalty turned down by referee Minesh Gupta when Chapman was upended in the box.

Chiavetta and Chapman combined again to send Foster away in the channel, and his low cross was just missed by the on-rushing Tinsley.

Not to be outdone impressive young Reeves on the right was showing great pace and quick feet to waltz past three defenders and put in another quality cross which was not met by the strikers.

However, another goal looked inevitable and Chapman got his reward on 71 minutes, and with defenders backing away, his shot from the edge of the 18-yard box was too strong for Miles to hold and the ball found the net.

With the game now beyond Gedling, Holwell kept at it to the end of the match with Tinsley adding sheen to a great performance with last-minute fourth.

On Saturday, Holwell make their first trip to league newcomers West Bridgford who currently lie second (kick-off 3pm).

Holwell: Witham, Reeves, Chiavetta, Bitmead, Ridout, Hammond, Hibbitt, Stevenson, Chapman, Foster (Harris), Tinsley. Subs: Cropper, Morris.