Holwell Sports produce repeat performance at Ellistown

Holwell's new signing Julian Joachim scored at Ellistown on successive Saturdays EMN-150824-171239002
Holwell's new signing Julian Joachim scored at Ellistown on successive Saturdays EMN-150824-171239002
Have your say

A week after dumping Ellistown out of the FA Cup, Holwell returned on league business on Saturday and remained too good for a strengthened home squad.

Holwell had Dan Marshall and Graham Wells missing, forcing manager into changes with Liam Chapman playing at left-back and Harry Stannard brought in up front.

Holwell were straight into their stride and Stannard went close after four minutes with an attempt which came back off the inside of the post to the relief of Ellistown keeper Radforth.

Play was messy in the first quarter with both teams struggling to get control, but Holwell began to get on top, and after 27 minutes Michael Stevenson sent Stannard through one-on-one with Radforth.

He brilliantly saved Stannard’s first attempt and parried the rebound, and as Stannard tried to regain control of the loose ball he was brought down by Collins for a penalty. Kieran Foster made no mistake with the spot kick.

Just 10 minutes later, Chapman swung in a corner from the left and Chris Hibbitt rose at the back post to bullet a header into the top corner and extend the lead.

The match was all but over on 38 minutes as Holwell won a free kick on the left and Chapman swung in another quality cross which Julian Joachim did well to reach and loop a header over Radforth.

The second half was a closer affair as Ellistown tried to regain some pride.

Farmer and Clayton were withdrawn at half-time and the home side looked more up for the fight.

Holwell were put under pressure for long periods, but the centre-half pairing of Aaron Ridout and Ian Bitmead dealt well with everything thrown at them.

The visitors had their opportunities with Stannard having the best chance before going off injured and Hibbitt heading over.

Ellistown had their consolation in the 90th minute when Yusuf got round Bradley Smith, who had a good game, and cut the ball back into the crowded goalmouth. Nathan Jones showed good control to turn and shoot past Ben Stainsby.

Holwell moved up to ninth and could progress further if they beat Arnold Town at Welby Road on Tuesday evening (kick-off 7.45pm). Arnold lost at home 1-4 to Blaby and Whetstone on Saturday.