Holwell Sports’ misery compounded by Borrowash fightback

Holwell Sports 2-4 Borrowash Victoria EMN-151125-090923002
Holwell Sports 2-4 Borrowash Victoria EMN-151125-090923002
Have your say

Holwell’s winless run continued in agonising fashion on Saturday as they conceded a two-goal half-time lead to Borrowash.

The hosts started well with Matt Lowe given an early chance, but Borrowash showed intent of their own.

Holwell Sports 2-4 Borrowash Victoria EMN-151125-090939002

Holwell Sports 2-4 Borrowash Victoria EMN-151125-090939002

Simon Daws’ side broke the deadlock early on when Michael Stevenson put Holwell in front with a wonder strike from 30 yards which flew in off the right-hand post on nine minutes.

With their confidence up at last, the home side looked good for their lead, continuing to press the visitors and started to get some moves going.

On 25 minutes the ball was cleared out to Julian Joachim on the left near the halfway line.

A swift turn and raking cross-field ball found Tom Harris breaking into the box and he was hauled down for an obvious penalty. Again skipper Stevenson stepped up, leaving the keeper helpless to double the lead.

Borrowash fought back and Carlton Cropper did well at the feet of Evans to keep the scoreline as it was.

The rest of the half was scrappy as neither side got to grips with the gusting wind and cold conditions, but Kyle Hall was keeping the home defence honest as he pressed to get the Vics back into the game.

And it was by far a different Borrowash team which came out for the second half, getting at Holwell from the restart.

The home side began to look edgy as the visitors started to run at the defence. They seemed happy to soak up the pressure, but were pushed deeper and deeper by the waves of attacks.

Five minutes into the half, Freddie Daws was harshly adjudged to have handled the ball as he moved in to tackle, the ball hitting his raised arm. From a dangerous position on the right edge of the box, the defence failed to deal with the inswinging cross and Hall struck at the back post.

Borrowash, suddenly playing with real urgency, continued to press and as the home side ran out of steam, they won another free-kick in a similar dangerous position.

This time Adam Martin stepped up and his left-footed shot went straight into the net to level the match after 65 minutes.

Borrowash turned the game on its head eight minutes later with Holwell all at sea.

Ian Bitmead pulled down Hall on the six-yard line and Evans stepped up to score from the penalty spot.

Evans killed off the game on 83 minutes when he was allowed to run on and beat the advancing Cropper to cap a stunning second half fightback and extend Holwell’s winless run in league and cup to 14 matches.

* Holwell are at home for the third Saturday running this weekend when they host Radcliffe Olympic (kick-off 3pm).