Holwell Sports hope to reveal new boss after spirited display at Lutterworth

Holwell Sports chairman Graham Lewin took charge of the First XI on Saturday EMN-180910-110337002
Holwell Sports chairman Graham Lewin took charge of the First XI on Saturday EMN-180910-110337002
Have your say

A spirited performance by managerless Holwell was unfortunately undone by a penalty award in each half as Lutterworth Athletic took all three points.

After the departure of Andy Gray, it was left to club chairman Graham Lewin to manage for Saturday’s league trip while Holwell continue to talk to interested parties for the post.

With credible options under consideration, the club hopes to announce a new manager this week after final consultations are made.

With most of Gray’s signings gone, it was very much a makeweight side, including reserves, that travelled, but one that was up for the task and ready to fight for the club.

The match started evenly with Holwell shading the early encounters as first Bakrim shot just over the bar before Ambrose’s goalbound shot was saved by keeper Faulkener as the visitors threatened an opener inside the opening five minutes.

As the teams vied for possession a move involving Brad Smith, Ian Bitmead and Ross Cragg might have ended more positively, but again Faulkener was well-placed to save.

Lutterworth were beginning to show their strength, but Holwell’s back four were solid, while Richard Cragg made a smart stop, saving well at his back post after 20 minutes.

Within a few minutes, the Holwell keeper again did well to save a free-kick as the home side pressed.

Brad Smith was having a strong game in midfield, along with Bakrim, who reminded the home defence they were not in for an easy day.

Holwell came under a lot of pressure as the half wore on, but looked set to get to the break level.

But with luck not on their side in the past few weeks, misfortune again came their way when young Jamie Gilbertson conceded a penalty right on the edge of the box two minutes before half-time.

Barnes Gladman sent Cragg the wrong way to make it 1-0.

The second half was similar to the first with both teams remaining pretty even, but Holwell were caught out after 53 minutes when Bitmead brought down Gladman for Lutterworth’s second penalty of the match.

Gladman once again made no mistake to net his second goal.

The rest of the half was end-to-end, but with no finishing touches.

Cragg brought off another point-blank save with 15 minutes left which was pretty much that as the game petered out.

Caretaker manager Lewin was happy with the performance considering the disruption to the team, while the younger reserves Gilbertson, Fenwick, Ross Cragg and Jack Anderson all put in a shift for the side when called upon, impressing some of the senior players with their efforts.

A special mention was made for Tom Harris who returned to action as a second-half substitute after suffering a serious injury last year.

He showed the home defence a clean pair of heels with his trademark speed and caused problems during his 20-minute cameo.

Holwell: Cragg, Gilbertson, Bitmead, Ridout, Betteridge, B. Smith, Ambrose, Cowling, R. Cragg, Fenwick (Harris), Bakrim (Anderson).