Holwell Sports fight back to sink Kimberley MW

David Hazeldine struck Holwell's winner within five minutes of coming on as sub EMN-161128-172901002
David Hazeldine struck Holwell's winner within five minutes of coming on as sub EMN-161128-172901002
Have your say

Holwell Sports fought back to take all three points at Kimberley and chalk up their first double of the season on Saturday.

The win will give the whole squad some confidence as they dominated a game against opponents who kicked off the match in eighth place.

Holwell were keen to pressure the home side and almost went after a great early move.

Good build-up play from Kieran Foster, Tom Harris and Joe Williams sent Liam Chapman away down the left and his pinpoint cross was deftly flicked on by Mark Cowling against the bottom of the right-hand post.

Foster’s fierce shot was cleared off the line and Ian Bitmead’s shot was desperately cleared as the visitors forced three early corners.

Foster was seeing a fair bit of the ball, and hit a first-time volley just over the bar, capping a good move involving Michael Stevenson and Chapman.

But Kimberley gradually got going and were unlucky when Andy Hassal almost got on the end of a smart ball in behind Holwell’s defence.

Sports had a strong penalty shout 10 minutes before half-time when Bitmead collected a corner at the edge of the 18-yard box and was brought down by a defender’s trailing leg. But referee Davis awarded a goalkick.

Holwell continued to boss the game with chances falling to Cowling and Foster, but totally against the run of play, and with a shovel full of luck, Kimberley went into the break ahead.

Andy Hassal took his only real chance of the half after Bitmead slipped in the box.

Holwell had to take advantage of their dominance and began the second half pressing Kimberley back and repeating the pattern of the first half.

Chapman sent in another good ball across goal, but no Holwell forward could take advantage, before Harris, who was beginning to get under the skin of the home defence, broke in from the left and fired just wide.

A Chapman free-kick was then collected by Brad Smith, and his pass found Foster whose turn and shot was tipped over by the home keeper.

Chapman was unlucky just after the hour when his goalbound shot was also well turned away for a corner.

But it proved a corner too far for Kimberley as Harris stole in and glanced a header from Chapman’s in-swinger to get a richly-deserved equaliser.

Kimberley tried to respond, but Holwell’s midfield and back three made sure nothing troubled keeper Witham who had little to do.

Boss John Webster replaced Williams, who had done well in midfield, with David Hazeldine.

The inspired change paid dividends within five minutes when the striker scored after 68 minutes when he headed in from Foster’s cross.

The hosts tried to rally, but it was not to be their day and though there was some work still to be done to protect the lead, Holwell saw out the game well to secure a third win in five league outings.

Holwell: Witham, Ridout, Bitmead, Woodcock, Foster, Smith, Stevenson, Williams (Hazeldine), Chapman, Harris, Cowling. Sub not used: Chiavetta.