Holwell Sports earn Kimberley point as old boys return

Aaron Ridout in action in the FA Cup earlier this season EMN-160217-115032002
Aaron Ridout in action in the FA Cup earlier this season EMN-160217-115032002
Have your say

A goal from Aaron Ridout on his return to the club helped Holwell salvage a late draw with Kimberley Miners Welfare on Tuesday evening.

But despite improving their record to one defeat in their last five league outings, Sports will reflect on two points dropped after a first half in which they failed to make their dominance pay.

Buoyed by the return of centre-half Ridout and full-back Liam Chapman, who were on the bench, Holwell made a decent start.

Graham Wells’ cross from the left caused problems and was followed by a big penalty shout after seven minutes when the Kimberley goalkeeper collided with a defender.

Both seemed to impede and then bring down Wells as he tried to turn with the ball, but play was waved on.

But the good start was undone on 13 minutes when Purkis put into his own net as he tried to cut out a low cross.

The home side survived another scare a minute later when the referee disallowed a goal bundled over the line for a foul on keeper Hood.

Holwell created chances to level as Michael Stevenson put the ball wide as did Brad Smith after a peach of a pass from Joachim.

Wells continued to keep Kimberley’s back four busy and should have equalised when sent away one-on-one with keeper Hourd-Lee.

The hosts dealt with everything the visitors had to offer, but it was Holwell who finished the half strongly. Joachim and Wells fashioned an opening for Brad Smith five minutes before the break, but again the ball agonisingly missed the target.

However, Holwell were rewarded on the stroke of half-time when Wells was brought down on the edge of the box and Stevenson dispatched a strong penalty passed Hourd-Lee to level.

The second half was a dull affair with both sides unable to get the upper hand. Holwell pressed well and the long ball out of defence kept the visitors penned in for long spells.

Stevenson came closest to scoring on 50 minutes, but the Kimberley keeper did well to deny him. And two minutes later Joachim sent in a good cross which Wells directed too close to the keeper who turned the ball round the post.

Chapman came on for Colton Cropper who had a quiet night with Holwell right in the match.

But the hard work seemed undone when Jacob Webster put the visitors ahead with 19 minutes left when he wasn’t picked up at a corner and headed the visitors in front.

Holwell were now chasing a game they would have been well ahead in but for some stunning saves from Hourd-Lee.

As the clock ticked on it seemed this was going to be yet another defeat for Holwell, but in a last throw of the dice, manager Simon Daws threw on Ridout to shake things up.

And he thankfully delivered with a minute left when the visitors keeper blotted his good performance by dropping the ball under pressure at the near post and Ridout bundled the ball in.

The game was nearly won in added time when Joachim was presented with half a chance, but Hourd-Lee recovered to ensure the game was not lost at the death.