Holwell Sports beat Anstey for fourth time this season

Action from Holwell Sports 2-1 Anstey Nomads EMN-150504-133632002
Action from Holwell Sports 2-1 Anstey Nomads EMN-150504-133632002
Have your say

Holwell Sports completed a league double on Saturday, and in the process beat Anstey for the fourth time this season.

In previous campaigns, Anstey have proven quite the bogey side for Holwell and they arrived at Welby Road on an unbeaten run of eight league games.

With manager Simon Daws still suspended and assistant Chris Hatton away, Graham Keast remained in charge but was without Hallam and Randall (unavailable), Calver (holiday), and injured striker Wells.

In came McKay and Barnard from last weekend’s defeat at Arnold.

Holwell started brightly and could have been 4-0 up inside 20 minutes. Stannard shot wide, and then minutes later sent a lob high over both keeper and crossbar.

Stannard again tried his luck but saw his effort blocked on the line, and when Mooney followed up on the rebound, the Anstey keeper pulled off another save.

Holwell finally saw some reward for their early dominance when Stannard was sent through by Mooney and jinked inside two defenders before curling an effort into the far corner.

The goal finally seemed to stir Anstey into life as the visitors began to compete and press Holwell higher up the field.

The rest of the half was a more competitive affair and Anstey almost levelled after a defensive mix-up, but Holwell scrambled it clear.

With the home side looking likely to carry a slender lead into the break, the hosts doubled their advantage just on the stroke of half-time.

Hibbitt headed a Stevenson set piece towards goal and when the keeper saved again, Mooney was on hand to head home from close range.

Anstey began the second half in determined fashioned, looking to reduce the arrears. They got their chance on the hour mark when Parra-Watson conceded a penalty and Coore calmly converted the spot kick.

Anstey continued to push forward in search of an equaliser, but despite their endeavour failed to really test or threaten Stainsby in the Holwell goal. In fact Holwell looked the likelier scorers, but Stannard and Mooney were unable to put the game to bed as Holwell made heavy weather of wrapping up the three points.

But the home side held out to further improve their chances of a top eight finish.

Holwell: Stainsby, Foster, Parra-Watson, Ridout, Chapman, Barnard (Smith 87), Stevenson, Hibbitt, McKay, Mooney, Stannard. Subs not used: Denigan.