Holwell hearts are broken by Ivanhoe stoppage-time winner

Kieran Foster took his season's goal tally to eight at Radcliffe
Kieran Foster took his season's goal tally to eight at Radcliffe
Have your say

Holwell exited the League Cup at Ashby Ivanhoe on Tuesday in the cruellest fashion when Evan Cawley’s cross-cum-shot found its way into the goal in the second minute of added time.

It was a harsh ending for Holwell who had dominated for most of the second half and at times looked like the probable winners of this match.

However, they were again left to rue several missed opportunities which should have changed the outcome.

The first half seemed to follow on from the stalemate of Saturday’s league encounter, with no great skill on show from either side.

Holwell couldn’t take advantage of a poor ball out of goal from the Ashby keeper on 23 minutes, as Brad Smith tried to shoot for goal but the keeper managed to hold on to his half volley.

There was a let off for Holwell four minutes later as Bitmead was called on to make a last ditch clearance at the near post.

Holwell were pressing but a promising attack on 36 minutes broke down as the final ball to Hammond was poor. This allowed Ashby to go on the attack with a swift move up field, which ended with Sam Johnson putting the home side in front.

But to Holwell’s credit they went at Ashby from the restart and were level within a minute as Foster picked the ball out wide on the right, cut in playing a one two with Hammond then sent in a low shot which Mark Cowling turned into the net.

Holwell were the stronger of the two sides in the second half, with Hammond more to the fore and posing problems for the home defence.

Tom Harris had replaced Matt Lowe after injury in the first half and, as in Saturday’s match, became the focus of some rough tackling by the edgy Ashby back four.

Hammond and Foster both had decent chances they did not take which would have put Holwell out of sight in this match and credit is due to Ashby’s keeper, who was brave diving at feet to save another couple of half chances.

But just as it looked as though there would be no clear winner in ninety minutes, Evan Cawley broke down the left in added time and fashioned a winner which looked like a sliced cross with his left foot that somehow found its way into the net, skimming off the underside of the bar and onto the post before crossing the line.

It was a particularly cruel way for Holwell to lose this tie after putting in a decent performance, though once again poor finishing in front of goal let them down.