EMCL: Holwell Sports fight back to beat Borrowash

Graham Wells hit a hat-trick at Aylestone, helped by strike partner Julian Joachim EMN-160120-091941002
Graham Wells hit a hat-trick at Aylestone, helped by strike partner Julian Joachim EMN-160120-091941002
Have your say

Striker Graham Wells netted twice to earn improving Holwell an excellent win at top eight side Borrowash on Saturday.

Holwell’s leading scorer Graham Wells made it 20 goals for the season from 27 league appearances this year.

The first half was not much of a match as the two teams appeared evenly matched early on. Purkis went close for the visitors six minutes in with a speculative cross which nearly turned into the opener as it sailed just over the bar with the keeper floundering.

On balance, Holwell were the better side against a Borrowash side who, recently parted with their manager, offered a lot of endeavour, but no clear pattern of play.

But Borrowash almost went in front after 26 minutes when Danny Briscoe let fly from 20 yards with Hood happy to see the shot rebound off his right-hand post.

Hood had to look lively again seven minutes later when Briscoe’s looping shot was tipped over.

Just as it seemed the first half would end in stalemate, Holwell’s defence were caught out as Lewis Evans broke away against the run of play to slot home a 42nd-minute opener.

But Holwell to their credit went straight up the park and equalised from their second attack in quick succession.

Chapman’s corner from the left was headed back out to him and his strong ball back into the box was met by Wells who stooped low to head past the home keeper in a packed goalmouth.

Holwell were quick out of the blocks in the first minute of the second half when a well-worked move involving Purkis, Chapman and Joachim played in the pacey Wells, but his shot was parried onto the bar and out for a corner.

Bitmead then rose best to head the corner goalwards but Borrowash managed to clear the ball off the line.

The good start continued as Joachim was released, but one touch too many saw the keeper recover to make the save.

The second half was all Holwell who were by far the more cohesive team as the hosts made changes which failed to improve their fortunes.

Holwell missed out on several chances to increase their lead until the 64th minute when Joachim chased down a ball on the ring wing.

A defender tried to shield out of play, but Joachim made the tackle, kept the ball in and bore down on goal, releasing Wells to stroke in his second of the afternoon.

The forward had chances to make it a hat-trick, but the final finish deserted him.

The shine was taken off the win though, when after countless hefty challenges, Freddie Daws was cautioned for persistent fouling.

And the inevitable happened six minutes from time when he was dismissed for a second yellow card.

With such a weak squad losing a player like this to suspension will no doubt have an effect in the next game.

Holwell make the trip to Radcliffe on Saturday before hosting Barrow Town in the local derby on Easter Monday. Kick-off for both matches is 3pm.