Double figures as Town put 12 past Woodford

Tom Byrne on the ball for Melton Town EMN-160712-094755002
Tom Byrne on the ball for Melton Town EMN-160712-094755002
Have your say

Melton’s questionable home form has seen two six-nil wins and a seven-nil defeat in the last five games to underline their inconsistancy.

The previous week’s heavy defeat to Buckingham Town needed a response from the players, especially with the County Cup quarter final with Holwell coming next in their fixture list.

And what a response it was, as Melton inflicted on Woodford the league’s heaviest defeat of the season.

They ran riot in an enthralling display of attacking play.

United started the game the brighter of the two teams, with Tyler Morgan causing problems for Town’s defence.

After eight minutes, Morgan broke the offside trap and his pass found John Holloway in the clear, but his shot was tipped over the bar by Ash King.

Then in the 14th minute Town started the rout. From their first corner of the game, Kieran Clayton ran from outside the box into a crowded area to hit a sweet volley into the bottom corner.

Six minutes later, Ash Palfreyman cleverly back heeled to the oncoming Jordan Stableford and his snap shot was fumbled by Tight in the United goal and rolled into an empty net.

Within two minutes it was 3-0. Byrne skipped along the right touchline before chipping the keeper from 35 yards out. His shot hit the crossbar but an alert Palfreyman was first to the rebound to slot home.

A few minutes later Stableford went on a mazy run only to be upended by Craig Cuniff. From the resulting free kick, Adam Bishop cleared the wall and found the top corner of the net to make 4-0 going into the break.

Melton started the second half as they finished the first....on the attack.

A header from Love was well saved, but Stableford picked up the rebound and his subsequent cross found Lee Mann unmarked to head home his first goal in a year.

Seven minutes later Palfreyman was gifted a goal as he ran through United’s defence, picked up a rebound off the defender and cooly rounded the keeper to slot home to make it six.

The onslaught continued. Straight from the kick off another attack saw Palfreyman unselfishly square to Love who made no mistake from six yards out.

Substitute Aaron Black drove at the Woodford defence, beating three players, with his shot ricocheting out to Bishop, whose first time shot took a nasty deflection wrong footing Tight to make it 8-0.

Remarkably, given the final scoreline, Melton missed a hatful of chances before netting their ninth, new signing Mike Hendey hitting a thunderous first time shot from the edge of the box to claim his first goal for his new team.

A minute later, a superb pass from Hendey put Aidan Black through and his shot on the run found the top corner.

With four minutes to go Love scored his second of the match, then turned provider, dinking th ball to Black whose miscued shot looped over the keeper and into the to complete the 12-0 drubbing.

Melton now move on to face Holwell next Tuesday at the DD. This will be followed by facing Olney in the league the following Saturday.