Aylestone Park steal thunder from profligate Holwell Sports

Holwell Sports 0-1 Aylestone Park EMN-160829-114040002
Holwell Sports 0-1 Aylestone Park EMN-160829-114040002
Have your say

In a match which should have been abandoned as thunderstorms raged, Holwell were desperately unlucky to lose a match they should have won by several goals.

The first half was a fairly even affair with both teams cancelling each other out. There was lots of effort on show but no real endeavour, with defences on top and goal opportunities scarce.

Holwell Sports 0-1 Aylestone Park EMN-160829-114053002

Holwell Sports 0-1 Aylestone Park EMN-160829-114053002

The first chance of the match came after 20 minutes as Aylestone’s Brown managed a shot at goal, and two minutes later Holwell had their chance to open the scoring after Hazeldine was fouled midway in the visitor’s half.

Aylestone came under pressure from the free-kick, conceding three successive corners before they managed to clear, but only after centre-half Kieran Neat was injured by a Hibbitt pile-driver straight in the face.

Vizzard put the ball in the net for Park just before the half-hour, but team-mate Yusef had been flagged offside in the build-up.

Holwell’s best came late in the half when Hazeldine and Foster combined to make an opening for Wells, but he couldn’t get control of the ball.

The heavens opened at half-time with heavy thunder and lightning around, but the referee recommenced despite the deteriorating weather.

The second half was totally dominated by Holwell as wave after wave of attacks down both flanks had Aylestone under severe pressure.

Four minutes into the half and Holwell should have been in front when Chapman sent in a peach of a cross which Wells met on the full only for visiting keeper Hamill to make a point-blank save.

Aylestone had no answer to Chapman on the left as he swung in high quality crosses, and new signing Hammond came close, followed by a great effort by Foster which unfortunately was straight at the keeper.

Park were finding it difficult to get going in the pouring rain, but Holwell demonstrated good control and skill despite the overhead light show and heavy rain.

With 18 minutes left Foster failed to capitalise on yet another free header from another Chapman cross, and yet another chance was squandered when Hibbitt headed over.

Aylestone sent on Potter, Joynson and Mohammad in a bid to turn the tide, but still Holwell looked the more dangerous with most of the possession.

It really had become very close to unsafe for all in the ground, but still referee Naji saw no reason to halt the match, even when an overhead blast caused the floodlights to fail.

And Holwell were left to rue their many missed chances when, in the very last minute, Aylestone mounted one final counter-attack.

As all around him were trying to cope with the conditions, Aylestone’s Mason Brown kept his head and somehow found the far corner of the net from inside the box to deny Holwell any points from a stirring performance.

The goal, with virtually the last kick of the game, gave Holwell no time to respond as Aylestone were more than relieved to have stolen the three points from under Holwell.

Holwell: Witham, Reeves, Kibble, Bitmead, Chapman, Harris, Hammond, Hibbitt, Wells, Hazeldine (Tinsley), Foster. Subs not used: Cragg, Chiavetta, Ridout, Dewick.