Asfordby’s biggest win of the season

The latest local sports news.
The latest local sports news.
Have your say

Asfordby U12s 4

Oadby U12s 0

Asfordby FC Under-12s secured their biggest win of the season at home to Oadby.

The pitch had thawed nicely for kick off and Asfordby didn’t waste any time as McDaid fired them into the lead after just five minutes.

It was just the start they needed, but an elusive second goal had to wait until later as numerous attempts peppered the Oadby goal.

Asfordby had their own slice of luck as Oadby came close, hitting the woodwork, and it was probably the home team who were a little more grateful of the half-time whistle.

Only a minute into the second half and nerves began to calm as Lee and McDaid chased a long ball from Smith. The ball eventually fell kindly for McDaid to slot home his second of the game.

It was a signal to the rest of the team to move up a gear, though Asfordby certainly rode their luck at times.

But any hopes the visitors may have had were quashed when Smith picked up the ball in his own half and went on a storming run before slotting home in the top left corner from 15 yards to make it 3-0.

With Lee managing midfield and Armitage in commanding form in defence, Asfordby continued to press and were rewarded with a fourth as Lee finished an excellent move down the left.

It remained 4-0 as Asfordby wrapped up an excellent home performance.

No single player could be awarded a Man of the Match trophy, so it went to the team as reward for their hard work and determination.

Asfordby: Neece, Coleman, Armitage, Green (M), West, Lee, Scarborough, McDaid, Smith, Green (J), Jones.

Royce Rangers U12s 2

Asfordby Girls U12s 2

Asfordby Girls under 12s travelled to Royce Rangers and extended their unbeaten league run to 11 games with a 2-2 stalemate.

Asfordby started the stronger of the two teams with lots of crosses and chances, but again struggled to find their shooting boots for the second week in a row. After 15 minutes the deadlock was broken, player of the match Sophie Townsend turning home after Ruby Attewell had hit the post.

Royce didn’t give in and constantly caused the Amateurs’ defence problems with their speed and accurate passing.

Just before half time Royce pressure caught the Asfordby defence napping and the hosts equalised.

At 1-1 the league leaders looked nervous and sluggish as they struggled to find their rhythm, but Attewell made it 2-1 with a close-range shot.

Asfordby looked to be heading for a win when Royce undid the defence for a second time with more pace and slick passing to make it 2-2.

In the final 10 minutes a great pass found Alice Henley O’Sullivan in space, her first touch took the ball under control and she smashed a fierce shot at the Royce keeper, who turned it wide for a corner.

Asfordby again had to thank Leah Scallon for some great saves that kept them in the game after Royce continually went close.

Despite being unbeaten and seven points clear at the top of the table, Asfordby now end 2016 at home to Harborough Town on December 11 for what is a must win game should they have aspirations of finishing as champions in 2017.

Asfordby FC Poachers U13s 2 Beaumont Town U13s 3

After the previous week’s defeat at the hands of Beaumont, Asfordby looked to get off to a better start in the return fixture.

In frosty conditions Asfordby quickly imposed themselves on the game, with good play from Swann and Hill and Deacon supporting from midfield,

Beaumont looked to counter but were met with stern resistance from Asfordby’s back line of of Halliday, Atton, Palmer and Dolby.

Barnes scurried down the wing before Hill fed the ball to Rowe, whose shot on the run struck the post.

Cook, in the Asfordby goal, controlled his area well.

A. Atton went close with a header from a corner and another shot from Rowe was fired straight at the keeper.

The opening goal of the game came when a Barnes cross was met by Dolby, who slotted the ball.

Shortly before half-time Asfordby doubled their advantage, Hill skinning a defender before cutting in from the wing and firing in an unstoppable strike to make it 2-0.

Beaumont looked a different team after the break and rallied well.

A mix up in the Asfordby defence allowed them to pull one back to reduce the deficit to 2-1.

Asfordby then found themselves under pressure when Beaumont added a second to level the scores.

As the game became stretched, Cook sprinted out of his area to again clear the ball.

With time running out, it was Beaumont who went on to score the winner and take the points, the final score 3-2 to the visitors.

For Asfordby they can reflect on a good team performance and one which they will feel should have at least earned them a draw.