Asfordby FC U17s put 17 past Whetstone

Have your say

After beating Hinckley Green Towers 9-0 and Hinckley Town 5-1, goal-hungry Asfordby continued their winning streak in sensational style.

The home side took the lead almost straight from kick-off when Coy played a superb through ball to Quinn who finished.

Minutes later Ablewhite collected a fantastic pass from attacking full-back Farnsworth to make it 2-0. Coy bossed the game from midfield, playing in Quinn for another two goals.

The conditions were extremely hard with heavy rain and strong wind, but Heathcote latched onto a pass from Hyde to make it 5-0 at half-time.

Minutes into the second half the referee brandished a second yellow and sent off Coy.

Asfordby were down to 10 men, but in no mood to let up. From nowhere, Farnsworth made a solo run the length of the pitch before finishing low to the keeper’s right.

Asfordby switched off temporarily and conceded a goal, but Heathcote responded to make it 7-1.

After losing Ablewhite and Booth to injury, half-fit substitute Marchington came on and scored a superb goal, shooting across the wrong-footed keeper.

Minutes later, Marchington provided two assists to allow Heathcote to complete his hat-trick.

Not to be outdone, Quinn bagged another two goals to take his tally to five.

With Asfordby still pushing for more goals, Heathcote set up winger Hyde with a delightful pass, and he calmly slotted home. Heathcote went on to score another two goals, as did Farnsworth as Whetstone were overwhelmed.

Leics Under 16s League



Both teams endured bitter conditions on a worsening pitch, but somehow managed to finish the game.

Asfordby dominated large parts of the game and keeper Leatherland was a bystander in the rain as his defence kept Bushby at bay.

Curtis, playing an unfamiliar role at left-back, had a strong game alongside Skinner, Wesson and Lee.

In the first half Richards twice went close and probably should have had a penalty, too, but that would have been harsh given the conditions.

In the second half Asfordby showed more composure and laid siege to the Bushby goal with opportunities for Atherley, Wait and O’Neil.

Cochrane finally gave the visitors the lead, smashing the ball in from the 18-yard line after a bombardment which the Bushby defence couldn’t cope with.

Callow seemed to revel in the muddy conditions and gave a man-of-the-match performance from the middle of the field, consistently finding the out ball to Reed on the wing.

The home team offered little in reply, as Asfordby take good form into the end of season match at Whitwick on Sunday.

Asfordby: J. Leatherland, K. Reed, M. Wesson, K. Skinner, D. Wait, L. Callow, M. Cochrane, H. Curtis, C. Richards, T. Atherley, O’Neil, Lee.

Leics Under 11s Division Three



Rangers stayed top of the table after fighting back twice to beat an attacking Ratby side.

On a cold, windy Sunday morning, Ratby were straight on the offensive from kick-off and were soon ahead. With Mowbray seemingly asleep at the back, the visitors pounced on a loose ball and fired in a shot to make it 1-0.

Ratby were creating chances from every attack, but Rangers keeper Goodwin kept them out with some brilliant saves.

Rangers finally had a chance when Cowan fired in a free kick into the penalty area where Hill struck the Ratby crossbar and Cook put the rebound wide.

Cantrill, Salinger, and Cowan defended well against Ratby’s attacking onslaught to keep the deficit down to one goal.

Rangers were level soon after half-time when Cowan fired an unstoppable free kick past the Ratby keeper.

But the visitors also stepped up a gear and within minutes sped through the Mowbray defence to restore their lead.

The hosts responded brilliantly with some superb inter-play between Corker, Godfrey and Sercombe which found Cook. His pass found Hill who fired in a shot to make it all-square.

Corker was on top form on the wing, taking on the Ratby defence and delivering some great crosses, and Godfrey quickly found the net with a brilliant solo goal to put Rangers in front for the first time.

Both teams pressed and Ratby capitalised with a well-taken goal to make it 3-3.

But Rangers weren’t finished, and the superb Sercombe stepped up and fired in two further goals to give Rangers a 5-3 win.

Ratby continued to attack and Goodwin kept Ratby out with a late save, while the defence of Cantrill, Cowan and Salinger stood firm.

Rangers: H. Cantrill, G. Cook, A. Corker, C. Cowan, B. Godfrey, J. Goodwin, D. Hill, K. Salinger, W. Sercombe.