Asfordby FC sink Barrow with six-goal blitz

Mowbray Rangers Under 14s and Epworth Forest EMN-150113-132404002
Mowbray Rangers Under 14s and Epworth Forest EMN-150113-132404002
Have your say

Asfordby secured back-to-back league victories with a handsome win over Barrow in difficult conditions which did not suit their passing game.

Barrow enjoyed plenty of possession in midfield, but could not match Asfordby’s clinical finishing during important moments of the match.

The derby game started in typically competitive fashion, and Asfordby’s opening goal came following a period of Barrow pressure and against the run of play.

Ablewhite floated a dangerous corner into the centre of the box where the unmarked Heathcote calmly headed in.

The goal seemed to unnerve the visitors and Asfordby took control of the rest of the first half.

But a defensive lapse saw the speedy Barrow winger beat several Asfordby players with a superb run before sending over a cross which was headed in.

Coy ensured Asfordby went into the break 2-1 up with an excellent solo goal, riding several challenges before unleashing a fine low shot from 20 yards which found the corner of the net.

Barrow began the second half pushing forward in all areas, and they equalised from a goalmouth scramble.

The game was turned on its head when Homewood came on and set up the goal of the game.

After beating his attacker to the ball, he showed great pace to leave several opponents in his wake and deliver a great diagonal ball to Coy. He fed Morjaria who continued his deadly form in front of goal with a confident finish.

Ablewhite then took control and scored a fantastic hat-trick in a devastating 10-minute spell.

All three came following good link-up play with calm, clinical finishing from within or around the edge of the box.

Asfordby: M. Evison, H. Marchington, D. Farnsworth, C. Read, H. Challis, C. Ablewhite, E. Coy, T. Stubbs, L. Hyde, F. Heathcote, A. Morjaria, C. Ward, J. Booth, D. Homewood.

Leics Under 16s Division One



After a recent run of misfortune the young Foxes could be excused for thinking things couldn’t get any worse, but on Sunday at high flying Allexton, they did.

For the first time this season Melton were able to call on three substitutes, but still had to rely on stand-in keeper Chris Lovegrove to hold the fort between the sticks.

Playing on a slope with a strong breeze, neither side looked comfortable, but the hosts took a fourth minute lead.

When the Foxes failed to clear their lines from a corner, the ball was flicked goalwards where full-back Jacob Bates dived to palm the ball out. Bates was shown a straight red card and the hosts scored from the penalty.

Despite being down to 10 men, Foxes battled hard and Lovegrove dealt easily with through balls and long-range efforts.

Harrison Mayes’ low cross from the left created danger, but Shaun Smith and Cameron Steans failed to get a final shot. Steans fired tamely at the keeper and Smith miscued when well-placed following Alex Walker’s fine run.

Allexton found it hard to create any clear chances, but just as it seemed Melton would hold out until half-time they were hit with a four-goal storm.

A free kick just outside the area looked harmless, but keeper Lovegrove allowed the ball to slip from his fingers and over the line, and seconds later Melton’s back four were caught out by a long ball and the home striker ran through to score.

Poor marking at a corner allowed a free header which was gratefully accepted, and two minutes before the break, Melton again failed to clear, and the Allexton striker fired in from six yards.

With the slope and breeze in their favour after half-time, Melton brought on Beeken and Carroll.

Smith swivelled to fire a shot onto the top of the net and forced a super save with an inswinging corner. Allexton still looked dangerous, but clear chances were few until Lovegrove flicked a super drive over.

Heroics in defence from Joe Nickolls and George Wilkinson, and tireless work in midfield from Alex Walker and new boy Lewis Thorpe saw Melton restore some pride with a second half shut-out.

Foxes: C. Lovegrove, B. Wilkinson, J. Nickolls, G. Wilkinson, J. Bates, A. Walker, L. Thorpe, J. Thorn, S. Smith, C. Steans, H. Mayes, B. Carroll, C. Beeken, K. Jones.

Leics Under 11s League



Mowbray leapfrogged Loughborough into third place and avenged their defeat earlier in the season.

Both teams started slowly, and after 13 minutes the home team went ahead following two Pumas mistakes and mistimed tackles in the area.

Pumas were determined not lose a second successive game and upped their tempo. They came close to equalising through Godfrey and Sercombe who shot just wide.

Building on the pressure, Pumas levelled with some good play in midfield and down the wing. Hack’s cross found Hill who turned the ball in from four yards.

With the wind at their backs, Mowbray went in front with two quick goals.

The first came from via Sercombe’s shot from the outside of the box which the keeper fumbled to Godfrey who slid the rebound into the net.

Mowbray’s third came in similar fashion with Cook finishing following Godfrey’s initial shot.

Loughborough started the second half with the wind at their backs, and it was time for Pumas to dig deep.

Great tackling from Cowan, Cantrill and Carlisle kept the home side out until an unmarked Loughborough player headed in from a corner to make it 3-2.

Mowbray battled well and deserved the three points.

Pumas: J. Goodwin, J. Carlisle, C. Cowan, H. Cantrill, A. Corker, G. Cook, W. Sercombe, D. Hill, N. Hack, B. Godfrey (c), K. Salinger.