Asfordby FC Poachers march on; Mowbray Rangers Jags hit seven

Football stock image
Football stock image
Have your say

Asfordby FC Poachers under 15s continued their winning ways as they out four past Harborough Town on Sunday morning.

Poachers pressed hard from kick-off, but Harborough played some lovely football and kept the defence of Carlisle, Eldred, Atton and Halliday busy, while goalkeeper Cook made some great saves.

Hill, Swann, West, Smith and Fox battled well in midfield, and when West came in with an outstanding tackle, he sent a perfect ball through to Rowe whose shot from an impossible angle found the far corner for 1-0.

Having ran his socks off, Rowe made way for Taft in this end-to-end game, while Brown replaced Smith who was forced off by a tough tackle.

The rejigged Poachers came under attack and a long-range shot beat Cook to equalise.

Poachers found space down the wings, with Hill making great runs with Fox, and Asfordby went back in front when Eldred broke up a Harborough attack and set Carlisle away to use his pace to go one-on-one and coolly slot home.

Town produced more lovely football, but again Eldred was there to win the ball and send Carlisle one-on-one with the keeper and place a shot into the far corner for 3-1.

Playing some fantastic football, Hill’s pace left the defenders behind him, but he shot wide.

And they made it 4-1 from another Harborough attack when Cook came out quickly to release Carlisle. He spotted Hill whose shot from an unbelievable angle from the left wing left the keeper helpless on the stroke of half-time.

Both teams created further chances after the break in a brilliant, fast-paced match.

Dolby and Mee combined well to find Rowe who was crowded out, while Cook smothered another Town attack and, thinking quickly sent away Carlisle whose shot hit the crossbar.

* Mowbray Rangers Jaguars under 13s were in seventh heaven as they breezed past Glenfield in the cup.

With both sides liking to play fast-paced football, the early exchanges were dominated by the defence as Dolby and Bartley nullified Glenfield’s early raids.

Bartley’s superb tackle took the ball off the attacker’s toe before calmly passing to Aldridge who combined with Worby to set Tyler away, but his cross went begging.

Worby was alert to win the ball from the keeper’s kick and skipped past an opponent.

Using great insight and skill, he spotted the keeper off his line and beat him with an exquisite lob to put Jaguars in front.

Glenfield were stung, but were soon level from a corner.

But Mowbray were in fine form and Darby-Mcellard, who chased every loose ball, was rewarded with a corner after a break down the right with Hurst-Butler.

The set-piece found Tyler running in to make it 2-1.

Yet Glenfield remained dangerous and with the last kick of the first half levelled again.

Rangers came back out for the second half fired up, and were 3-2 thanks to Faulkner’s superb solo run.

Breaking up a Glenfield attack on the edge of the area, he drove down the left at pace, dummied the left winger, beat the left back and with the centre-half advancing looped a shot over the keeper toward the goal where Bruce-Chapman made sure from less than a yard.

Aldridge’s smart ball through played in Worby to make it 4-2, and as Glenfield pushed forward, they left gaps, allowing Ross to add a fifth.

Homewood’s neat pass played in Grant who was fouled in the box, and Ross fired in the penalty for 6-2.

Combining with Grant, Young neatly placed a shot past a deflated keeper to cap the scoring.