Asfordby FC hit seven; Mowbray Rangers edge thriller; Melton Foxes endure tough day

Have your say

Asfordby enjoyed their biggest win of the season on a difficult pitch at Lutterworth.

Both sides showed a great physical commitment, leading to an early change in the defence as Wesson replaced the injured Herbert.

The visitors hit the front after 20 minutes when Atherley drove at the defence and clipped a cross to Callow whose first-time drive with the outside of his boot curled out of the reach of the keeper.

Lutterworth piled on the pressure and keeper Leatherland made an almost impossible double save to keep his side ahead.

But Asfordby were the more clinical in attack, and before half-time, the returning Wait doubled the lead from close range.

Asfordby started the second half with intent and within minutes new signing O’Neil hit a fantastic first-time ball into the run of Callow who raced on and chipped the keeper.

Wait soon curled in his second after the unlucky Richards saw his shot rebound off the bar before the impressive O’Neil smashed in a volley for his first Asfordby goal.

Atherley made it 6-0 with a cute curling shot, and the scoring was capped when Wait completed his hat-trick.

The defence of McGowan, Skinner, Wesson, Reed, and the disciplined Curtis denied Lutterworth any momentum, while Matt Cochrane dominated midfield, covering every blade of grass and winning every tackle.

Man-of-the-match was keeper Leatherland for his crucial save at 1-0.

Asfordby: J. Leatherland, K. McGowan, K. Reed, M. Wesson, K. Skinner, D. Wait, L. Callow, M. Cochrane, H. Curtis, C. Richards, T. Atherley, A. Herbert, O’Neil.

Leics Under 16s Division One



After a series of self-inflicted single-goal defeats, Melton had no complaints after producing their most lacklustre display of the season.

The Foxes started well in an even opening, but Hinckley went ahead after 16 minutes when a cross from the left eluded the home defence and was finished from close range.

The promotion-chasing visitors piled on the pressure and despite several promising runs from winger Harrison Mayes, home keeper Chris Lovegrove was much the busier keeper.

Five minutes before half-time, the visitors went further ahead. Lovegrove appeared to be impeded as he attempted to clear a corner and Hinckley scored from the resulting goalmouth scramble.

Again Melton added to their own problems by continually giving the ball away in promising positions, and Hinckley created several chances to extend their lead.

Hinckley began the second half where they finished the first and were by far the better side as their slick passing kept the hosts on the back foot.

They went further ahead after 50 minutes when another low cross eluded the defence. The Hinckley forward miscued his shot, but it fell to a team-mate who crashed the ball into the net.

Striker Shaun Smith flicked the ball over a defender and volleyed over from 10 yards before a rare Hinckley error allowed Smith to send Mayes clear, but with just the keeper to beat, the winger blazed wide.

Hinckley capped the scoring in the 70th minute when a cross was half-cleared and the loose ball was smashed past the helpless Lovegrove.

Foxes: C. Lovegrove, B. Wilkinson, G. Wilkinson, J. Nickolls, J. Bates, A. Walker, L. Thorpe, K. Jones, S. Smith, C. Steans, H. Mayes.

Leics Under 11s Division Three



Will Sercombe hit a late winner to settle a seven-goal thriller and earn Rangers a brilliant result away from home.

Nirvana put an early chance wide, but Rangers responded immediately as Sercombe latched onto the ball and found Noah Hack who kept his composure to set up a tap-in for Dylan Hill.

Alex Corker attacked with pace down the left, but Godfrey shot wide, while at the other end, Jamie Goodwin tipped a brilliant corner onto the bar.

But Rangers seemed to have the upper hand in defence where Hugo Cantrill, Kyle Salinger and George Cook were superb.

From Goodwin’s kick, Sercombe and Hack combined to set up Hill whose shot was saved by the keeper, but Corker fired in the rebound for 2-0.

Rangers were in control and before long, brilliant play from Godfrey and Sercombe found Hack who beat two opponents and passed it to Corker. He set up Sercombe to fire a precise shot into the bottom corner.

But Nirvana quickly hit back with a penalty, and Rangers seemed to freeze, dropping back and allowing Nirvana to fire in two more quick goals and level the scores at 3-3.

Rangers responded and somehow found Sercombe who raced from midfield through the Nirvana defence to fire in an unstoppable shot.

The match swung end-to-end, but Mowbray’s defence held firm to seal victory.

Rangers: H. Cantrill, G. Cook, A. Corker, B. Godfrey, J. Goodwin, N. Hack, D. Hill, K. Salinger, W. Sercombe.