Asfordby FC finish season in style; Melton Foxes off the bottom

Have your say

Asfordby completed their season with a comfortable win over Whitwick thanks to strikes from Wait and Reed.

As with all other games this season, without exception, Asfordby started well and controlled the game with their two-touch pattern passing.

Keeper Leatherland had little to do in a first half dominated by a fine right side combination of Lee and Reed who got around the back of Whitwick on numerous occasions.

Skinner was again strong at the back, and Callow and Cochrane pressured the ball in midfield. Their constant harassment forced a corner on the quarter-hour mark which was delivered perfectly onto the head of Wait to open the scoring.

The second came shortly after when Reed raced free of the defenders and was bought down by a rash challenge from the opposition keeper. It was Reed himself who got up to slot home the penalty and double the advantage.

In the second half Asfordby looked more disjointed as the conditions worsened, but strong displays from Sharp and Curtis in midfield kept the home side quiet for long periods.

Whitwick did have a 10-minute spell of pressure and forced Leatherland into a fine save, while man-of-the-match Wesson twice cleared off the line, helped by the returning A. Herbert.

N. Herbert provided a constant outlet on the left and his supply into O’Neil, Richards and Atherley almost paid off several times.

The management and coaching team would like to thank all of the players for their hard work and commitment throughout the season. Every player has progressed which has shown in the team performances.

Asfordby: J. Leatherland, K. Reed, M. Wesson, K. Skinner, D. Wait, L. Callow, M. Cochrane, H. Curtis, C. Richards, T. Atherley, A. Herbert, O’Neil, N. Herbert, L. Sharp, M. Lee.

Leics Under 16s Division One



Two goals from striker Shaun Smith earned Melton their second win of the season after a terrific battling performance at the Mars ground.

The hosts were looking to avenge a 4-3 defeat in the reverse fixture after throwing away a 3-1 lead, but Glenfield looked sharper from kick-off and keeper Chris Lovegrove was forced into two smart saves.

The Foxes hit back and were ahead within five minutes when full-back Ben Wilkinson hurled a long throw into the box and Smith cleverly lobbed the stranded keeper.

Seconds later Smith cut in from the right and sent a low cross flashing across the face of goal with winger Harrison Mayes just failing to get the final touch.

Two more Lovegrove saves and a superb clearing punch kept the visitors out, but Glenfield were handed a soft equaliser after 27 minutes. Centre-back George Wilkinson, having an outstanding season, mis-hit his clearance and the loose ball was drilled past Lovegrove from 10 yards.

Ben Wilkinson performed heroics to clear a goalbound effort before Mayes’ long cross sailed across the face of Glenfield’s goal.

An even second half saw Alex Walker and Lewis Thorpe working hard in midfield to keep Melton in the hunt.

Lovegrove made two smart saves as Glenfield pressed, while Lewis Thorpe directed a fierce 20-yard shot straight at the keeper.

Skipper Joe Nickolls and his back four had to work overtime to deal with the pressure, but with 70 minutes gone, Melton regained the lead.

Cameron Steans challenged for a high bouncing ball and when it ran loose, his strike partner Smith took two paces and blasted the ball past the advancing keeper.

Smith unselfishly squared a pass to sub Tom Hope whose rising drive shaved the crossbar from 12 yards.

More Glenfield pressure was repelled by Melton’s dogged defence as the hosts held onto the points and moved off the bottom.

On Sunday, the Foxes entertain fellow strugglers Aylestone, kick-off 2pm.

Foxes: C. Lovegrove, B. Wilkinson, J. Nickolls, G. Wilkinson, J. Bates, A. Walker, C. Beeken, L. Thorpe, H. Mayes, S. Smith, C. Steans, K. Jones, T. Hope.