This year’s Make It Happen scheme is proving to be as popular as ever, with more community groups putting in their bids for cash.
This year marks the 12th successive year of the unique scheme, a partnership between the Melton Times and Ragdale Hall which aims to help charities and organisations throughout the Melton borough.
Grants of between £200 and £1,000 are typically given out after the judges have decided who should benefit. All types of clubs, groups and organisations in the area are encouraged to bid for a share.
Successful applicants will be invited to a presentation evening at Ragdale Hall on Thursday, December 8.
Here’s some of the applications received so far:
* Parents’ Solution Circle, a parent support group that meets fortnightly at Birchwood Special School and helps 30-40 families, is asking for £400. Trustee and fund officer Arabella Coombes explained: “Our parents/carers have children/young adults with special needs and/or behaviour problems. If successful, we would use the grant to assist with administration and running costs and we would like to purchase a projector that will help us to deliver training.”
* Frisby Primary School PTA has asked for £500 to develop a pond and wildlife area ‘to help the children learn about nature and the local environment’. It would benefit more than 100 schoolchildren.
* Great Dalby Playground Project has applied for a grant to part-fund a £699 toddlers’ play train for a planned new village playground. Parents and grandparents have formed a community group to raise money for it. Activites have already raised £1,210 towards the playground, which would be used by more than 200 children.
**How to apply for a grant
There are two ways in which you can apply for a share of the £10,000 pot. You can either write a letter and send it to Make It Happen, Melton Times, 49 Nottingham Street, Melton Mowbray LE13 1NT, or fill out an online form.
Whichever method you choose, you must provide the following information:
* Your name;
* The name of your group/club/organisation;
* Your role within the group/club/organisation;
* Your contact number;
* Your email address;
* Your postal address;
* The sum you are applying for;
* A brief description of the project/event you would use the grant for;
* An estimate of how many people the grant would benefit.
The deadline for entries is Tuesday, November 1, at 5pm.