A village pub was severely damaged by fire this morning spreading through the first floor and roof space.
The fire at the Unicorn’s Head is not thought to be suspcious. Four fire crews from the Nottingham area and Melton attended the scene at about 6am.
Landlord Jeremy Ievins and his wife Beth were able to get out of the pub with their two dogs. Mr Ievins was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.
He told the Journal: “The fire alarms went off and we got out with the dogs. The place was filled with smoke and where we were just went up in flames.”
Mr Ievins, who has run the pub for three years, added: “I have put everything into this pub and just got it up and running. We came to get the pub back on course. It was struggling and we have turned it round. I am very proud of what we have done.
“I am just in shock and really feeling down.”
Highfields fire station manager Tom Clark said the fire severely damaged the roof and first floor. The bar and restaurant on the ground floor were also damaged by water used by firefighters to tackle the blaze.