Fire safety advice mobile drop-in centres will be set up in Melton tomorrow (Friday) and Saturday in the wake of last weekend’s devastating house blaze in the town which resulted in the death of a 72-year-old woman.
Representatives from Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service will be at the farmers’ market at the cattle market tomorrow from 9am until noon, at gate one and two, and in the town centre on Saturday, from 11am until 3pm.
The aim of the initiative is to provide the community with reassurance and advice on home fire safety.
The cause of Sunday’s fire, which happened in Lambert Close shortly after 8pm on Sunday, is being investigated by the fire service and Leicestershire Police.
A fire service spokesperson said: “This was a terrible tragedy and the thoughts of the fire and rescue service are with the family, friends and acquaintances of the deceased.
“Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service staff will be working in the local area during the next few days, to provide reassurance and advice to residents about how they can avoid a similar scenario.”
The fire service website at www.leicestershire-fire.gov.uk/your-safety offers a wide range of tips and advice on how to keep yourself and your home safe from fire.
Pat Bishop tragically died in Sunday’s fire and her 70-year-old husband, Rod, was this week being treated at the Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham after suffering from smoke inhalation. Their son John (32) has been discharged from hospital after also receiving treatment for smoke inhalation.