Former Conservative MP Harvey Proctor today (Thursday) branded claims he was part of a rent boy ring a “Kafka-esque fantasy” as police raided his home in a child sex abuse probe.
Speaking from a barn near his home on the Belvoir Castle estate near Grantham, he said: “Good afternoon, ladies and gentleman.
“I can confirm that yesterday, police searched my house with a warrant under Section Eight of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act.
“I have assisted police with their inquiries.
“This morning, I gave an interview on BBC Radio Four. I have nothing to add to this Kafka-esque fantasy. Thank you.”
The 68-year-old, who wore a dark blue double breasted suit, declined to answer any questions, and was immediately driven away in a silver car.
His comments come hours after detectives from the Metropolitan Police’s Operation Midland team searched his house overnight on Wednesday.
Operation Midlands is investigating claims senior politicians abused young men and boys in London and the south of England between the 1970s and 80s. The probe includes allegations three young men were murdered, a claim Mr Proctor has said he knew “nothing about”.
Mr Proctor was a Conservative MP from 1979 until he was forced to resign in 1987 when he pleaded guilty to gross indecency after claims he had sex with male prostitutes.
Earlier in the day, Mr Proctor, who now works for the Duke and Duchess of Rutland at Belvoir Castle, denied being part of a “rent boy ring”.
Speaking to Radio 4’s Today programme he said: “I have never attended sex parties at Dolphin (Dolphin Square in Pimlico, London) or anywhere else.
“I have not been part of any rent boy ring with Cabinet ministers, other members of parliament or generals or the military. I conducted my private life in a discreet manner.”
It is the second time in a week staff at Belvoir Castle have had a brush with the law.
Last week, head gamekeeper David Boynton, 76, was banned from driving after he was caught over the limit following a “tipple” with the Duchess of Rutland in December.