Firefighters have appealed to Melton home owners to ensure they get chimneys swept every year.
The call comes after a town crew attended a blaze in a chimney at a two-bedroom house in Asfordby Hill.
Melton firefighter Scott Smith said he and his colleagues had trouble unblocking the flue to deal with the fire, which was in St Johns Road at 6.23pm on Sunday.
He said: “We would urge people to get their chimney swept by a professional at least once a year.
“This incident was difficult because we had to rod it from below and the rods got lodged.
“We used a roof crawler so we could direct water down the chimney on to the fire.”