It was the turn of the veterans to battle it out at the Hamilton Tennis Club Championships.
Each was played in sections with the group winners and runners-up proceeding to semi-finals.
In the ladies’ veterans, Rosie Gildove and Sue Corfield beat Cindy Coulter and Lesley Greaves 5-0, while Sue Harrison with Jill Woods edged a close match against Margaret Heggs and Margaret Shufflebotham 5-4.
Rosie and Sue won a very close final 6-5.
* In the men’s section, Doug Hacking and Dave Gildove shaded Edwin Shufflebotham and Selwyn Carter 5-4, and Steve Thompson with Carl Westerman beat Graham Hall and Keith Galloway.
Doug and Dave regained their title, beating Steve and Carl 6-1.
* In the mixed section, Sue Harrison and Keith Galloway pipped Polly Dolby and Carl Westerman 5-4, and Doug Hacking with Margaret Heggs beat Cindy Coulter and Graham Hall 5-2.
In the final, Doug and Margaret won 5-0.
* On the league scene, the men’s first team lost their unbeaten record when they were beaten 5-3 by Loughborough Greenfields.
Ryan Parmar and Tom Elliss won three sets, but Steve Wallace and Jack Elliss were unable to clinch a set for the draw.
Scores: Ryan Parmar/Tom Elliss D 3-6, 7-5; W 6-4, 6-2. Steve Wallace/Jack Elliss L 3-6, 0-6; L 3-6, 4-6.
* The ladies’ first team gained a convincing 7-1 win over Leicester Forest East to move to the top of Group Two.
Laura McMullen and Nicky Kennedy-Maggs won a maximum four sets, well supported by three sets from Beth Lowe and Jess Gadsby.
Scores: Laura McMullen/Nicky Kennedy Maggs W 6-3, 6-3; W 6-3, 6-0. Beth Lowe/Jess Gadsby D 4-6, 7-5; W 6-2, 6-4.
* The men’s second team defeated Birstall Firsts 6-2 to go top.
Justin Horobin with Geoff Wallace won all four sets, and Jimmi Cox with Joe Jackson won two for victory.
Scores: Justin Horobin/Geoff Wallace W 6-4, 6-3; W 6-4, 6-2. Jimmi Cox/Joe Jackson L 3-6, 6-7; W 6-1, 6-1.
* The men’s third team won a long, close match 5-3 against Carisbrooke B.
Andy Stevens and Mike Crane won three sets and Andy Douglas with Steve Thompson clinched the match in the final set tie-break.
Scores: Andy Stevens/Mike Crane D 4-6, 7-6; W 6-3, 6-2. Andy Douglas/Steve Thompson L 5-7, 4-6; W 6-3, 7-5.
* The ladies’ third team lost 5-3 to Kegworth with Hazel Crymble and Margaret Roskell taking two sets.
The two sets which Kegworth won 7-5 swung the match in their favour.
Scores: Hazel Crymble/Margaret Roskell L 5-7, 4-6; W 6-1, 6-3. Chris Stevens/Dee Adams L 3-6, 2-6; D 6-2, 5-7.