More winners were crowned at Hamilton Tennis Club last week at their annual handicap competitions.
In the mixed handicap, all group winners went through to the semi-finals where Keith Galloway and Jill Luke beat Barrie Farnsworth and Nicky Herbert, and Patrick Whenham-Bossy with Margaret Heggs defeated Joe Jackson and Jan Jackson.
Patrick played steady tennis in the final and with Margaret chasing down seemingly lost causes they beat Keith and Jill 5-2.
* The men’s doubles group winners were Joe Jackson and Tom Whitaker, Tom Styles and James Greenberry, Barrie Farnsworth and Patrick Belcher, and Mike Pratt with Bryan Randall.
Styles and Greenberry beat the previously unbeaten Jackson and Whitaker, while Farnsworth and Belcher came through against Pratt and Randall.
In a close final, Farnsworth and Belcher beat Styles and Greenberry.
* The ladies’ handicap was interrupted by heavy rain and saw Pat Woolston and Hazel Crymble defeat Wendy Farnsworth and Margaret Roskell in the third/fourth place play-off.
Chris Stevens and Dee Adams then beat Brenda Langridge and Margaret Heggs 5-2 in the final.
* On the league scene, only veterans matches were played.
The ladies’ veterans first team beat Market Harborough 7-1, a result which may have retained their position in Group One.
Scores: Margaret Heggs/Margaret Wright W 6-4, 6-0; D 5-7, 7-6. Rosie Gildove/Helen Roper W 6-3, 6-0; W 6-0, 6-2.
* The ladies’ veterans third team gained their first win of the season with a 5-3 victory over Wigston Seconds.
Polly Dolby and Hazel Crymble won three sets, while Dee Adams and Di Green won two, including a tie-break, to clinch the match.
Scores: Polly Dolby/Hazel Crymble W 6-3, 7-5; D 2-6, 6-3. Dee Adams/Di Green D 7-5, 4-6; D 1-6, 7-6.
* The men’s veterans second team of Keith Galloway, Edwin Shufflebotham, Joe Cunningham and Selwyn Carter lost 8-0 to Birstall Watermead.