Hamilton Tennis Club is in the midst of its Open Tournament with finals to be held on Saturday.
Spectators are welcome to watch the various age groups from under 8s through to adults. The tournament has been sponsored by Melton Mowbray Building Society and BAC Electrical.
* On the league scene, most men’s and ladies’ teams are completing their fixtures while the mixed groups are shortly to start.
The ladies’ third team maintained a comfortable mid-table position in Group 3A with a 6-3 win over Victoria 2.
Cindy Coulter and Lesley Greaves won maximum three sets, while Sue Corfield with Rosie Gildove won two sets and Margaret Heggs with Margaret Wright won another, but were unlucky to lose two tie-breaks.
Scores: Cindy Coulter/Lesley Greaves W 9-5, 9-5, 9-2; Sue Corfield/Rosie Gildove L 7-9, W 9-6, 9-3; Margaret Heggs/Margaret Wright L 8-9, 8-9, W 9-6.
* The ladies’ second team welcomed Laura Hayward-McMullen back to team tennis, but were disappointed to lose 5-4 to Syston Northfields Firsts.
Once again the team were undone by two losing tie-breaks despite maximum three sets from Carol Gilchrist and Nicky Kennedy.
Scores: Laura Hayward-McMullen/Jo Heggs L 6-9, 8-9, W 9-1; Carol Gilchrist/Nicky Kennedy W 9-7, 9-7, 9-0; Beth Lowe/Jenny Golland L 3-9, W 9-6, L 8-9.
* The ladies’ fourth team rounded off their splendid season with a 9-0 win over Enderby 2 to clinch promotion from Group 5A.
All squad members have contributed to their excellent results.
Scores: Sue Harrison/Jo Rowe W 9-1, 9-1, 9-4; Eileen Merrison/Chris Stevens W 9-0, 9-3, 9-4; Emily Harrison/Jill Woods W 9-0, 9-3, 9-1.
* The girls’ under 16s team of Libby Duncan, Saskia Davies, Olivia Wilson and Abigail Hickling beat Charnwood 6-0 to win their division.
* There was another 6-0 whitewash win for the boys’ under 16s – Oliver Aley, Lewis Postle, Daniel Belcher and Connor Boylan who won all of their singles and doubles against Lutterworth B.
* The under 12s boys’ A team of Barnaby Stanley-Thompson, Ciaran Boylan, Will Kirk and Harry Spencer lost 4-3 to Victoria.
After Ciaran and Harry won their singles, and Barnaby teamed up with Ciaran to win their doubles, but the team lost the match on a tie-break shoot-out.
* There were mixed results for the veterans teams.
The men’s first team drew 4-4 with Lutterworth with both pairs winning two sets.
Scores: Dave Gildove/Doug Hacking L 4-6, 4-6; W 6-1, 6-2. Bruce Smith/Steve Thompson L 3-6, 3-6; W 6-2, 6-4.
* The ladies’ veterans second team beat Leicester Forest East Fourths 8-0.
Scores: Sue Harrison/Jo Rowe W 6-1, 6-2; W 6-1, 6-1. Pat Woolston/Eileen Merrison W 7-6, 6-2; W 6-1, 6-4.
The ladies’ veterans third team (Hazel Crymble, Christine Stanley, Di Green and Jill Woods) lost 8-0 to a Loughborough side who will no doubt be challenging for promotion having just entered the league in Division Five.