Electric blankets warning after a house fire incident

Two fire crews were called out to a bedroom fire at a home in Stonesby EMN-150202-135347001

Two fire crews were called out to a bedroom fire at a home in Stonesby EMN-150202-135347001

0
Have your say

Firefighters have appealed for people to be careful with their use of electric blankets after a faulty one caused a fire in a house on Friday evening.

Crews from Melton and Grantham attended a large property in Chapel Lane, Stonesby, after reports of a blaze in one of the bedrooms.

The three occupants were already out of the house when the fire service arrived.

Incident commander Scott Smith said: “Smoke was coming from a bedroom on the second floor and there were also flames when we arrived.”

Firefighters used breathing apparatus in the incident.

Mr Smith added: “We would advise the public to always check the shelf life of their electric blanket and to roll them up rather than fold them to protect the wires.”